cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems after MCUXpresso version updates

Jump to solution
tomvansistine
Contributor III

When upgrading MCUXpresso, should I use new a new workspace?  I often have many problems after upgrading, particularly after 10.3 to 11.0 upgrade.  Also should I create new projects from old after an upgrade to avoid buried references to older versions?

Tags (1)
1 Solution
converse
Senior Contributor V

Read section 2 of the MCUXpresso installation guide. It gives a list of recommendations when upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
converse
Senior Contributor V

Read section 2 of the MCUXpresso installation guide. It gives a list of recommendations when upgrading.

0 Kudos
tomvansistine
Contributor III

I could not find the guide for 11.0.0 but for  11.1.0 and all it shows is the new features and fixes but no hints for installation.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

I'm using 11.1.0 and Section 2 (Migrating from an earlier version) says

We would generally recommend the following flow when a new IDE release becomes available....

Install the new release in parallel with the original version. This allows you to evaluate the new release before committing to using it for your main product development work.

When using the new version, use a new workspace – to keep your new “evaluation” world separate from your old “development” world. You can very easily copy your projects from your existing workspace to your new workspace – for example by checking them out of version control again, or simply using the IDE’s Quickstart Panel option to “Import project(s) from file system...” and pointing at the root directory of your existing workspace.

Note: MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.x (or later) projects are not backward compatible with earlier versions of MCUXpresso IDE. Also, if an existing project is edited with MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.x, it may no longer be usable with an earlier version of MCUXpresso IDE.

Preferences can also be imported from your existing workspace to your new workspace. To do this run your old IDE installation, and use File -> Export -> General -> Preferences to export. Then in your new IDE installation use File -> Import -> General -> Preferences to pull your preferences in.

If you have installed additional plugins into your original IDE installation, then you can also import these. To do this, from your new installation select File -> Import -> Install -> From Existing Installation and point at the ide directory within your original IDE’s installation directory. Note: that on macOS / Linux – this option will effectively run automatically the first time you run the new version of the IDE.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

I've just found the Installation guide for v11.0 (it's installed on your computer) and Section 3 (Migrating from an earlier version) says almost exactly the same thing....