Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eMDA config tools

Jump to solution
auftrag2021
Contributor III

when I try to setup the eDMA by using the config tools, this windows pops up:

I did some trials, the auto-code from different version are quite different. 

What should supposed to use?  eDMA2.3.0 or the 2.4.0

Does NXP have any update info for this version update?

auftrag2021_0-1647944320014.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
martin_stano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

you're right. I suggested you to use non-transactional TCD mode, however as you might notice there is an incorrect implementation of transfer sizes in transactional mode. This is a known issue which will be fixed. As you can see the EDMA_PrepareTransferConfig() function has different parameter input types for source and destination sizes to the EDMA_PrepareTransfer() function. I'm sorry for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Martin Stano

MCUXpresso Config Tools team 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
martin_stano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi!

I'd recommend you to use the latest eDMA configuration component version, which is 2.4.0. Especially the non-transactional API mode (TCD structures) of the eDMA channels which is the most optimized way to pre-configure the DMA transfers.

The Migration Dialog window which offers you to "downgrade" your current component version is a known bug and it will be fixed in the next Config Tools version release. For now just set the "ignore" checkbox  and press cancel.

Best Regards,

Martin Stano

0 Kudos
auftrag2021
Contributor III

Unfornately what I experienced is exactly the opposition from your suggestion:

when I donwgrade from V2.4.0 to V2.3.0 the eDMA config tools works perfectly, single TCD, scatter gather mode all are good

but when I use the V2.4.0, the result from the eDMA configure just drive me crazy, here is my test result:

I have a very simple srcAddr and dstAddr array as global variable

uint32_t srcAddr[8] = {0x1, 0x2, 0x3, 0x4, 0x5, 0x6, 0x7, 0x8};   

and

uint32_t dstAddr[8];

below is the "auto-code" from the eDMA (v2.4.0) by using configuration tools 

auftrag2021_0-1647957557306.png

by using different majo loop transfer (bytes), the test result looked like this:

auftrag2021_1-1647957600288.png

Question: Why the output always doubled as the major loop transfer number?

in the V2.3.0, when I set

major loop transfer byte as 4, I got -> 1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0

major loop transfer byte as 8, I got -> 1     2     0     0     0     0     0     0

major loop transfer byte as 12,I got -> 1     2     3     0     0     0     0     0

I am pretty sure the results from V2.3.0 is expected exactly due to the reference manual. (4 bytes = 1 uint32_t)

the scatter gather mode by V2.4.0 is A desaster. The example code which worked perfectly by V2.3.0. but by V2.4.0 the output is totally wrong.

Has any one from NXP validated the result of eDMA config tool in V2.4.0?

0 Kudos
martin_stano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

you're right. I suggested you to use non-transactional TCD mode, however as you might notice there is an incorrect implementation of transfer sizes in transactional mode. This is a known issue which will be fixed. As you can see the EDMA_PrepareTransferConfig() function has different parameter input types for source and destination sizes to the EDMA_PrepareTransfer() function. I'm sorry for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Martin Stano

0 Kudos
auftrag2021
Contributor III

thanks for your lightspeed feedback.

I am feeling now much better, it is only a bug in SW tools. I had some time before a doubt the MCU would have some hardware bug.

Thank you for your kindly support

0 Kudos
martin_stano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are welcome. I can prepare a hotfix patch with correctly generated code in case you want to use no other than transactional API mode. Are you using MCUXpresso Config Tools version 11?

Best Regards

Martin Stano

0 Kudos
auftrag2021
Contributor III

I am now using MCUXpresso IDE v11.5.0 [Build 7232] [2022-01-11]

0 Kudos
martin_stano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi!

As I mentioned, there is a hotfix patch in the attachment. Please follow the instructions for installation from the package.

Best Regards,

Martin Stano

0 Kudos