How advanced can a bootloader be?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How advanced can a bootloader be?

kurtjordan
Contributor I

How much extra stuff can be placed in a bootloader on the MK22FN512 product line?

Is it out of reality to be able to add some minor LCD ( i2c or spi ) operation so a user could know that the device was in bootloader mode?

-Kurt

0 Kudos
6 Replies

merigotbertrand
Contributor III

Hi Kurt,

Clearly, The SPI in the bootloader is dedicated to receive the binary file from a master.

in order to be programmed in the kinetis microcontroller

where your binary file comes from  a PC ? or another harware unit...

Of course it's possible to have simultaneously one master and two slave (or more) on your spi link. (LCD or any additive device)

This could be taken in charge by the system sending your binary file.

Bertrand

0 Kudos

kurtjordan
Contributor I

Since the k22f family has multiple dedicated SPI peripherals I would think I could configure one as a master but I seems to be having zero luck doing so. My code appears to run normally but I do not have any of the SPI functions operate as i would expect.

- Kurt

0 Kudos

merigotbertrand
Contributor III

Hello Kurt,

I just finish to debug a bootloader for a KV46,

In the original version, the Bootloader is very powerfull, it's scanning all the possible link (as a slave)

I2C,SPI, CAN and UART

You need to modify the original version 2.0.0 to adapt it to you hardware.

check the files :

Hardware_init_Kxx.C files.

Peripherals_Kxx.C files

Peripheral_pinmux.h

The kinetis flash tools software is perfect for uart use. (No change needed)

In case of SPI or I2C you will need to adapt it to your interface between your PC and your hardware

All the source files are included.

Regards

Bertrand

0 Kudos

kurtjordan
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply, but my question seems to still not be answered.

Is it possible to configure the peripherals as the slave and the MCU be the host? I want to have my bootloader controller an SPI LCD panel. Is this possible or does the bootloader code force all the peripherals to be slaves?

Thanks,

-Kurt

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kurt Jordan

There shouldn't be any problem to add a code that support this to the bootloader, I recommend you to check our Kinetis Bootloader source code, K22F is a device supported, so you can modify this bootloader software as you need.

Kinetis Bootloader|NXP 

Best Regards

Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

kurtjordan
Contributor I

Is it possible to use the i2c and spi interfaces as master in the bootloader or only in slave mode?

0 Kudos