cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDK 1.7: Freescale Custom Embedded Hypervisor

cpark
Contributor II

Hi,

Does LS1021A support the following feature?  If yes, could you share some information and documents?

• Freescale Custom Embedded Hypervisor multicore system for AMP based partitioning

That was mentioned on the following web page:

Linux® SDK for QorIQ Processors v1.7|Freescale

Thanks,

Chan Park

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Freescale Embedded Hypervisor does not support ARM chips.  KVM is supported on LS1021A.

0 Kudos

cpark
Contributor II

Is there any other alternative for AMP based partitioning for LS1021A?  Technically, it seems feasible to run Linux on one core and RTOS on the other core.  Can I use KVM for this partitioning too?     

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Chan Park,

KVM is kernel-based virtual machine, while AMP is asynchronous multi-processing, running multiple operating system images on different processors of the same machine without virtualization... What do you mean by AMP here?

Regards

Lunmin

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think they mean they want a lightweight partitioning hypervisor rather than something as heavy as Linux+KVM.  We don't currently have a supported product for this on ARM, but you may want to look at the Jailhouse hypervisor.

cpark
Contributor II

Thanks Lunmin and Scott for sharing information.

Yes, what I'm looking for is a lightweight partitioning (with or without Hypervisor) to run Linux on one core and RTOS(or bare metal) on the other core.

Jailhouse hypervisor looks great, but it seems to require PSCI support for CPU offlining, which is not supported by LS1, I guess.

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Chan Park,

According to QorIQ-SDK-1.7 on line document, in Section 10.3 KVM/QEMU (ARM), options of enabling PSCI:

Kernel features --->

[*] Support for the ARM Power State Coordination Interface (PSCI)

Here is the link:

Freescale Technical Information Center

Have a great day,
Lunmin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What are you claiming that this will accomplish?

0 Kudos