cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1043a SD card boot failed

mayqueen
Contributor IV

Hello all:

As title, it's a simple questions, I bought a LS1043a EV board (Yes, that orange case one), but I don't know why I always cannot boot from SD card, I already change the DIP switch to SD boot mode, but I still cannot see anything on debug console, somebody could give me a simple instructions how to boot up from SD card? Thank you so much!

U-boot and Kernel use mainline source code, Debian rootfs, thanks.

Maybe it is u-boot defconfig issue?? I use sdcard_defconfig without secure function.

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please try to prepare bootable SD card using attached U-Boot image from the SDK v2.0-1703 pre-built images ISO:

• Form Linux Host PC
    1. Insert SD card into Host.
    2. Use the "dd" command
      # dd if=u-boot-sdcard-2016.09+fslgit-r0.bin of=/dev/sdb  seek=8 bs=512
  • From ls1043ardb doard
    1. Insert SD card into target board and power on.
    2. Programming U-boot image to SD Card
      => tftpboot 82000000 u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin  => mmc write 82000000 8 800 => cpld reset sd                                   
0 Kudos

mayqueen
Contributor IV

Thank you, but I'm confuse, the u-boot image is already in SD card, why I need to programming again?

and as you said, the 2 part "Programming U-boot image to SD Card" is boot from nor flash and issue the command to flash u-boot to SD card, right?

It cause my 2nd questions, if I making board by myself in the future, the original nor flash is empty, how to flash SD card first time??

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please explain how you prepared the SD card which is not bootable.

0 Kudos

mayqueen
Contributor IV

Hello ufedor:

Step 1.
Compile u-boot ( I adapted GitHub - qoriq-open-source/u-boot  and choose ls1043ardb_sdcard_defconfig as default configuration).

Step 2.

Bott EV board from NOR flash, and use your comments as above, flash u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin to cpld on u-boot, and flash u-boot.bin to my uSD card.

Step 3.

Change SW4 configuration and SW5 configuration 1st bit): 0_0010_0101 -> 0_0100_0000 to SD boot mode, then insert my SD card on to the EV board.

Step 4. Re-plug the power adapter and no any response from debug console

What's wrong with my steps, thanks.

0 Kudos

mcbridematt
Contributor III

> Bott EV board from NOR flash, and use your comments as above, flash u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin to cpld on u-boot, and flash u-boot.bin to my uSD card.

Make sure you use the right binary.

u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin is the one to write to the SD card, not u-boot.bin

You can also write to the SD from a PC, using dd:

sudo dd if=u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=512 seek=8

Note that you also need to write the FMan and/or QE firmware, the location of this on the SDcard can differ based on your u-boot version

0 Kudos

mayqueen
Contributor IV

Hello Mathew

Thank you for your reply, this is my first time to touch HPC board, so I still confuse about your comment, as my understand, my steps have to changing as below:

Step 1.

sudo dd if=u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=512 seek=8

Step 2.

Change SW4 configuration and SW5 configuration 1st bit): 0_0010_0101 -> 0_0100_0000 to SD boot mode, then insert my SD card on to the EV board.

Step 3.
Plug-in power cable and boot up.

Seems easy, right? I will test later, but I don't know what is FMan and/or QE firmware? Is it necessary? Or just flash u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin is enough? I need research 2nd stage (kernel image) when I done this.

Thank you for your support

0 Kudos