cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1043A hard-coded RCW questions

alexandermikhai
Contributor I

Hello,

We are developing a board with LS1043A and planning to use eMMC to boot from (including storing RCW).

Do we even need to provide a hard-coded RCW source to the configuration pins on startup if we plan to use JTAG to bring up the board? If not, and JTAG can load any RCW to a blank CPU, what is the whole point of hard-coded RCW?

At first i thought we have to provide a hard-coded RCW source to the pins to be able to flash the eMMC with JTAG but since then i have seen notices of JTAG being able to load any RCW regardless.

Then if we do have to use hard-coded RCW at board bring-up, the Reference Manual says "The hard-coded RCW option should be selected based on the system SYSCLK and DDRCLK frequency combination." but "If a hard-coded RCW option is used, the user should not enable the core and the DDR controllers". How do I do anything without enabling the core? Also, do I need DDRCLK in hard-coded mode? The problem is, we plan to use a differential SYSCLK as a reference clock for DDR but the hard-coded register values set it up so that DDR has an independent source. Again, I assume it can be configured with the software during bring-up process?

To summarize the question - what are the situations when hard-coded RCW provide useful? And can I safely assume that I will be able to switch to a single-source clock at some point afterwards without having to provide an independent DDR clock at first?

Labels (1)
1 Reply

addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

RCW override is supported by this SoC. Using CodeWarrior tool, for example, you can easy override the RCW and more than that, you can program a RCW on an empty flash.

Adrian