cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LPC link2 with keil

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by aliharoon5 on Mon Oct 28 05:16:04 MST 2013
Hi all,

I have an LPCxpresso11U14 which I'm trying to debug using keil over the LPC-link2 interface.
Here's what I have done:
I have successfully configured LPC-link2 for CMSIS-DAP.

The connections I have made are as follows:
J7 on the LPC-link2 connected to J5 on the LPC-link portion of the xpresso board.
J5 on the LPC-link2 connected to the USB port of the computer.
and J8 on the target part of the xpresso board also connected to a USB port on the computer to power the board.

I then proceed to keil and selected "CMSIS-DAP" in the debug tab and also the utilities tab.

However, I'm still getting an error that says: "No debug unit device found"

Please tell me where i'm going wrong.

Thanks and regards.
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by aliharoon5 on Mon Nov 11 06:13:06 MST 2013
I have not removed the solder bridges connecting the link part to the target part, and successfully managed to flash the xpresso board. However, there seem to be some issues with debugging. The blinky does not work as desired and keil opens a window of the disassembled file, and debugging iterates over the lines in that instead of the source file (see screenshot in attachments). I did not have any such problems while working with a Stellaris board previously.
I now plan to remove the solder bridges to see if it works. Can you please tell me which kind of jumpers you used to connect the LPC-link2 to the target board?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tha on Mon Nov 04 13:33:41 MST 2013
The UART pins are on PIO0_18 and PIO0_19.  To connect to a terminal program (i.e. TeraTerm or HyperTerminal), you will need to use a RS-232 level shifter.  You can use something like the FTDI USB-RS232-WE cable.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

And of course you will will need to program the UART to send data out.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by aliharoon5 on Mon Nov 04 07:41:43 MST 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your help so far.
I have successfully managed to flash the LPC11U14 board WITHOUT removing the solder bridges on J4.
I connected J7 on the LPC-link2 to J5 on the xpresso board.
Jumper JP1 on the link2 is closed.
J5 on the link2 is connected to the USB port of my computer, and the xpresso board is also power via usb cable through J3.

The LPC-link2 is configured for CMSIS-DAP.

The trouble now is that I need to send some data from the LPC11U14 board (the contents of memory) to be read by a terminal program. The problem is that there is no COM port associated with the device showing.

Do I need to unsolder the connections in J4 for this to work? If yes, do I need to remove ALL connections?
Also please let me know if there is anything else I need to do in order for the COM port to show.

Your input would be very appreciated.

Regards.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tha on Mon Oct 28 22:07:57 MST 2013
When you apply power to the LPC-Link, the debugger chip is power and will be driving the output buffer chips.  Now if you do not physically disconnect the LPC-Link from the Xpresso portion and plug in the Link2, you will the Link2 outputs driving not just the LPC11U14 but also output buffer chips (which is not good since you are trying to drive a signal into output pins).

The Link2 can support various IDE, but it is the hardware that is limiting what you can connect to.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Oct 28 21:43:58 MST 2013
Sorry, but I don't understand the question.

Here is some information tthat you may find useful.

LPC-Link2 can be programmed or reprogrammed with different firmware. You can program CMSIS-DAP or Segger J-Link into the flash. You set this mode by inserting JP2. Or, you can remove JP2, in which case LPCXpresso will load the 'Redlink' firmware into the RAM. In this mode it is only usable by LPCXpresso, but the performance is higher.

LPC-Link2 is available both standalone, or 'attached' to a target board.

LPC-Link is a different debug adapter that is usbale with LPCXpresso only.

More information:
http://www.lpcware.com/lpclink2
http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13054.html
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by aliharoon5 on Mon Oct 28 16:52:15 MST 2013
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The thing is that there are several boards I need to flash, not just one, and I was hoping for a non-destructive method. I was under the impression that there would be one, since the LPC-link2 is advertised as being directly compatible with a variety of development tools and IDEs including keil.

Question: In using other stand alone debug adapters, such as LPC-link2 and Ulink2, does the LPC-link portion always have to be physically disconnected from the target portion of the board? Or is there a way around this?

Regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tha on Mon Oct 28 15:01:13 MST 2013
First, make sure you have program the Link2 to to be CMSIS-DAP.

http://www.lpcware.com/lpclink2-config-tool

Once program with the CMSIS-DAP firmware, make sure JP1 is installed on the Link 2 board.

Before you connect the Link2 to the LPC11U14 Xpresso board, make sure you disconnect it from the LPC-Link debugger.  You can do this by unsoldering the solder bridges on J4 or by removing the resistors connecting the SWD pins to the SWD header.

Or, you can make a cable connector that connects J6 on the Link2 to J4 on the Xpresso board (after removing the solder bridges).

0 Kudos