cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't suspend or terminate debugger

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by markustmaier on Tue Aug 27 12:00:14 MST 2013
Hi everybody,

I'm new to microcontroller and have a problem with debugging in LPCxpresso:
I can't suspend or terminate the debugger. If I click the button nothing happens. I can step in or step over and I can set breakpoints. But suspend and terminate does not work. The only way to stop it is to pull the usb cable of LPC-Link (with errors).

I've tested with LPCXpresso v5.1.2_2065 and LPCXpresso v5.2.6_2137. Target is LPC1769 from the Embedded Artists Board with LPC-Link. The Embedded Artists Base Board is not connected. System is Win7 x64. I've also tested several included projects like "demo" or "uart2".

Any ideas why this does not work and what I can do to get it working?

Thanks

Markus

0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Seba on Wed Sep 18 04:40:07 MST 2013
I faced the same problem. Hardware: LPCXpresso LPC1347 board (Embedded Artists) - no modifications. I've tried many projects starting from simple increment variable program and FreeRTOS based one. All applications work properly on target. I can connect to HW, load program to flash, set breakpoints, see variable/register values, run, step over, step into, restart - all these actions work properly. The problem is when I try to make any action (eg Suspend or set breakpoint) while program is running. Any action cause target disconnection. So I can't Suspend running program. My workaround is to set breakpoint in GPIO interrupt routine and press button every time I want to Suspend.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Aug 27 23:48:00 MST 2013
Is this a standard board or a custom board (one of your own design)? If it is a custom board, please try with a standard board.

Also, please try debugging a simple C application created with the wizard. try debugging it several times.

Please report back your results.

Note: I am thinking of two possibilities
1. If it is your own board, there is a problem with the debug circuit
2. Your application is putting the target into a mode where the debugger cannot gain access. See http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/DebugAccessChip
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by markustmaier on Tue Aug 27 13:17:57 MST 2013
Hi,

thanks for the fast response.

Here is what I'm doing:
1. Start LPCxpresso
2. Connect LPC-Link with LPC1769 directly to USB Port (no Hub)
3. Select Project "Demo" in Project Explorer
4. Clean "Demo" (Quickstart Panel)
5. Debug "Demo" (Quickstart Panel) -> Wait for download to target
6. Debugger is starting at first line of main() (see screenshot 1)
7. If I press "Resume" (see screenshot 2) the controller starts working
8. If I now press "Suspend" nothing happens. I can't press "Step over" or "Step into" anymore. The Suspend and the Resume button is gray. I can only press terminate. I know that usually the processor stop and the debug windows highlights the acutal line. I can't do anything to stop the controller. If I press Terminate also nothing happens. (see screenshot 3)

Alternative:
Step 1 to 6 above
7. I press "Step over" or "Step into" and every thing is fine. But again I can't terminate the session. If I press the button nothing happens.

Can there something be wrong with my debug settings? I used LPCxpresso about one year ago with an LPC1343 an no problems. Now I installed the new version and imported the example projects into a new workspace.

Thanks!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Aug 27 13:00:49 MST 2013
Please describe exactly which buttons you are pressing and when, and describe what is happening. Please attach screenshots if you can.

I have never heard of this problem, so I think it is something you are misunderstanding.
0 Kudos