Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tss on Wed Apr 06 06:50:16 MST 2016
I've been tasked with building software for an LPC11C24F that my company has built a custom board for.
However, I'm having a really hard time finding even where to start with learning how to build software for this microcontroller.

I've downloaded the LPCOpen projects but they have several things I don't understand (they seem to be using constants that come from seemingly nowhere, to start).
I'm looking for a basic "Hello World" kind of tutorial- not a built project like blinky, but an actual tutorial.

Anyone know of any such resource? I'd appreciate it!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
bump
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vtw.433e on Thu Apr 07 14:01:31 MST 2016
Have you read the getting started guide? That has info on how to create and debug project s.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tss on Thu Apr 07 13:44:58 MST 2016
Alright, thanks.

I guess mostly what I meant was, I can see what's happening in blinky, but I don't see how they got to where they are (whereas a typical Hello World tutorial starts with walking you through how to start a project, why they do things in a specific way, etc).

I'm used to kind of just figuring stuff like this out so I'll just keep going that route, I was just hoping there was something a little more structured. No worries, thanks for the help!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Wed Apr 06 12:01:55 MST 2016

Quote: tss
I'm looking for a basic "Hello World" kind of tutorial- not a built project like blinky, but an actual tutorial.

The blinking LED is the embedded programmer's Hello World.
Basically the purpose of such an example is to make sure the build environment works, with the least possible distraction (output of text over a serial port is more complicated than blinking an LED).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vtw.433e on Wed Apr 06 10:02:36 MST 2016
This may help:
http://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/BSP_Solutions/NXP/index.html
(Note - LPCOpen can be used with and without FreeRTOS).

However, there really is nothing like taking an existing example (e.g. Blinky) and reading the code to understand it. If you have not developed software for an embedded system before, it can be hard, until you get used to having to do EVERYTHING yourself - but it is very rewarding.
0 Kudos