Where may I obtain the Boot ROM source code for the OM40002 LPC8N04 Development Board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where may I obtain the Boot ROM source code for the OM40002 LPC8N04 Development Board?

Jump to solution
pmg
Contributor III

There are currently two bootloader versions (0.12 and 0.14).

Application note TN00040 contained in https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/TN00040.zip?fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum=1 mentions "the projects are under BSP\prj_8Nxx" and "the MCUXpresso project and source is provided as a zip file and it can be imported into your workspace."

1) Where may I find the source code for Boot ROM 0.12?

2) Where may I find the source code for Boot ROM 0.14?

3) Where may I find the source code for the "secure_image_creator.exe" contained in that same TN00040.zip package?

4) Where may I find the source code for the "sbl_nfc.bin" contained in the TN00040.zip package?

Neither the Boot ROM, SBL, or secure image creator source are available at LPC8N04 Development Board for LPC8N04 Microcontroller (MCU)|NXP page - and I don't see any GitHub repositories from NXP available either. The other BSP reference document BSP-LPC8N04-RN.pdf is blank aside from boilerplate legal NXP material.

I get that TN00040 says the the source is provided but I can't find it.

1 Solution
pmg
Contributor III

FAE was saying this was supplied by ARM so his hands are tied. So to wrap up this thread:

:smileyalert: Not available.

3) Where may I find the source code for the "secure_image_creator.exe" contained in that same TN00040.zip package?

:smileycheck: An equivalent program may be found here: NXP ARM Vector Table CheckSum - EverythingHere - 博客园 and here: CMSIS/FlashPrg.c at master · ARM-software/CMSIS · GitHub 

4) Where may I find the source code for the "sbl_nfc.bin" contained in the TN00040.zip package?

5) What is the appropriate channel to request NXP open source this item (so we may compile ourselves for our development environment)?

:smileyalert: Not available

:smileycheck: Some source code may be requested through an FAE under NDA unless this code itself was provided by third parties.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul Gerhardt,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) Where may I find the source code for Boot ROM 0.12 and ROM 0.14?
-- The Boot ROM code is not open to customer
2) Where may I find the source code for the "secure_image_creator.exe" contained in that same TN00040.zip package?
-- In the ~\TN00040\secure_image_creator folder.
3) Where may I find the source code for the "sbl_nfc.bin" contained in the TN00040.zip package?
-- In the ~\TN00040\secure_image_creator folder.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
pmg
Contributor III

Hi jeremyzhou‌,

I look inside the ~\TN00040\secure_image_creator folder and I see 
"sbl_nfc.bin" and "secure_image_creator.exe" - but no '.c' files or any other kind of source code. If you see the source can you upload here to this thread?

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul Gerhardt,

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
There're no source codes of the secure_image_creator.exe and sbl_nfc.bin in the TN00040.
Hope this is clear.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
pmg
Contributor III

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, that is my problem exactly. The documentation says the source is provided in the zip file but no source code is present. Can you please help?

Either the documentation needs to be updated from “source code is provided” to “no source code is provided” or the zip file needs to be updated to include the source code. 

-Paul

0 Kudos
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The TN00040 pdf document says the following:

The demo application project is located under the folder BSP\prj_8Nxx. The demo application project is available in three tool chains:
• MCUXpresso IDE v10.1.1
• Keil MDK v5.24.2
• IAR Workbench v8.20.2.
Note: The MCUXpresso project and source is provided as a zip file and it can be imported into your workspace.

It's all referring to the demo application and not to the Boot ROM or the tools.

Neither the Boot ROM of our microcontrollers nor the tools (secure_image_generator.exe and the sbl_nfc.bin) are open source, so they will not be published.

Regards,

Bernhard.

pmg
Contributor III

Thank you for the clarification Bernhard. My confusion lay in seeing the pdf describe the projects (plural) mentioned in the first quote (way up at the top in my initial post) and the project source (singular) in the second quote. I was further confused when I watched the technical training videos for the LPC8N04 where TomasVoda explains the source code for these binaries is available. (Screenshot attached - albeit missing the audio context that goes into depth on this.)

Currently I can’t get the binaries - specifically “secure_image_creator.exe” - executing natively in the Mac or Linux environments (the latter necessary for our CI servers). I can understand why NXP may not open up the boot rom but not having a path to do server side builds is inhibiting our ability to ship these products at scale without additional dev time.

What is the appropriate channel to request NXP open source this item (so we may compile ourselves for our development environment)?

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul Gerhardt,

Thanks for your reply.
As the Bernhard Fink mentioned above, these source codes wouldn't be published on Website.
So you can give a try to contact local DFAE or FAE for requesting these source codes, it may need to sign NDA.

Have a great day,
TIC

0 Kudos
pmg
Contributor III

FAE was saying this was supplied by ARM so his hands are tied. So to wrap up this thread:

:smileycheck: An equivalent program may be found here: NXP ARM Vector Table CheckSum - EverythingHere - 博客园 and here: CMSIS/FlashPrg.c at master · ARM-software/CMSIS · GitHub 

5) What is the appropriate channel to request NXP open source this item (so we may compile ourselves for our development environment)?

:smileyalert: Not available

:smileycheck: Some source code may be requested through an FAE under NDA unless this code itself was provided by third parties.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

I’ve been reading this thread, and this is none of my business, but I cannot see anywhere in the document where it says, or implies, that source code is available for those applications. 

I know from experience that NXP does not give out much of its source code..,

0 Kudos