Where is LPCOpen for the LPC546xx devices?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is LPCOpen for the LPC546xx devices?

andyjackson
Contributor III

I am interested in moving my existing product from older LPC parts to the LPC546xx family. My current code base is built on top of the LPCOpen code and runs on a number of different LPC processors due to the common API provided by the LPCOpen packages and builds quite happily with a custom build environment.

LPCOpen is mentioned in the LPC546xx User manual (UM10912) chapter 40 - where can I download this from?

I note that there is a MCUXpresso SDK available, but it is structured entirely differently and would require considerable work to port my application to it. If that was required, I think I would start considering my options for different vendors parts.

Labels (2)
9 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andy Jackson,

I'd like to share the reply.

The LPCOpen for LPC5460x was NOT suppose to be distributed beyond the few alpha customers, it was meant for early tester only. I do not know how Keil got this and include into their installation. We are asking Keil to remove this. We are NOT supporting LPCOpen for LPC5460x.

So I'd highly recommend you to switch to SDK instead of the LPCOpen.

Hope this is clear.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Andy Jackson @Carsten Groen

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and 
the opportunity to serve you.
LPC546xx doesn't have the related LPCOpen library, as the LPC546xx is the first to employ the SDK architecture and the SDK will include the more LPC MCU in future.
In finial, the SDK will be the uniform library for Kinetis and LPC MCU.
Hope this is clear.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Jeremy,

So despite what it says in the user manual my only option is the MCUXpresso SDK, which as far as I can see has no relation at all to LPCOpen and will require a major porting job on my application? I've had a quick look at it and whilst it might be fine used within the MCUXpresso IDE, it looks horrible to try and incorporate into a custom development environment.

This is really annoying as until now the NXP line has been that LPCOpen was the way to future proof your application and enable easy migration to newer parts.

Best wishes,

Andy

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Jeremy,

as I wrote, the NXP supplied LPCOpen for LPC5460x devices are already included in Keil products.

Does your statement mean that this will be obsoleted ????

I find this very disturbing, we have been using NXP devices for many years (and hence LPCOpen), so now youre telling us that this will end and you will head in another direction ?!?

I really think that you are about to make a mess of what has been working fine for years for many people :smileysad:

Udklip.JPG

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carsten Groen,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry for confusing you and I understand your worry.

I'd like to contact the AE team for confirming the fate of the LPCOpen library in the future and I will share their replies later.
Have a great day,
TIC

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Andy,

until you get an answer from NXP...I got LPCOpen for the 54x series from my Keil installation:

C:\Keil_v5\ARM\Pack\Keil\LPC54000_DFP\2.2.0\LPCOpen\lpc5460x\

If you are using Keil or not I don't know, so maybe this will not help you at all....

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Carsten,

Thank you for the pointer and taking the time to reply. I will investigate further.

Best wishes,

Andy

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

You're welcome Andy.

But, I'm afraid that something is about to change...We have been using NXP devices for more than 12 years, the code base is huge for our products (and shared between different LPC devices). If the message below from Jeremy is firm, we are in deep problems here. We will see what the future brings...

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

I couldn't agree more. In fact I've just recently invested a fair amount of time in porting our USB support to use USBD thinking that this would provide some degree of future proofing and easy migration. The MCUXpresso SDK USB API seems to be completely different and would require at least that much effort again which I'm not sure I can justify. And that ignores the time needed to integrate the lower level chip support into our ecosystem....