cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM in LPC4330-Xplorer not detected

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Isaac Verdu on Sat Feb 28 07:35:12 MST 2015
Hi everybody,

I have an LPC4330-Explorer Board as well as an LPC-Link II, which I use for debugging. I am able to succesfully program and debug the Blinky project in Keil, however, I can't get the Virtual COM to work. I have already found the drivers and instructions to do it, but the Device Manager in Windows seven doesn't even detect the board being connected, which of course doesn't give any chance to install the drivers. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Isaac
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Isaac Verdu on Sun Mar 01 09:09:52 MST 2015
Hello Martin,

thanks a lot for replying (specially on a sunday!). I've dealt with USB before, and I have no plans to deploy one for a personal project (at least not at this early stages). I was lead to believe that this board had a USB - Serial converter (by the guy I got it from), and didn't bother to confirm it in the documentation. The blinky project from Keil's appnote does print 'Hello World' through UART, that's why I expected it to work.

Thanks for pointing this out, hope I didn't take away too much of your time. You guys have a great sunday.

Isaac
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by capiman on Sun Mar 01 06:37:19 MST 2015
Hi Isaac,

as far as I have seen in the schematic, the PCB has no USB to serial converter on board and USB lines (D+ and D-) go more or less
directly to LPC4330. So all processing must be done inside LPC4330. You need a USB stack (software!) inside LPC4330, which
control USB peripheral of LPC4330.

A simply blinky does not control USB peripheral.
A program which controls UART peripheral does not (at least not always) control USB peripheral.

For a test I think you must get back to initial (factory) software.
Or get some software which supports
1) USB device (USB profile CDC),
2) LPC4330,
3) your board (same pin connections, same oscillator, ...)
4) USB1 peripheral.
and perhaps more.

USB is nothing easy to get running for a beginner. Start with UART and try to understand it.
Or use a board which uses a USB to serial converter (like from FTDI, Silabs, ...)

Best regards,

Martin
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Isaac Verdu on Sun Mar 01 04:29:15 MST 2015
Hi,

Yeah, I actually didn't know what LPCOpen was when I replied - my bad.

I decided to go that route, and downloaded the LPCOpen project files a couple hours ago. I ran the periph_uart project in Keil and debugged it with the LPC-Link II. I got the same result: the board is not being recognized at all by Windows. I was able to single-step it to the point where (I think) the UART waits for a response from the PC. It gets stuck at this call:

/* Loop until auto baudrate mode complete */
while (Chip_UART_GetABEOStatus(LPC_UART) == RESET) {}

In case I wasn't clear before, here's what I'm trying to do:

1. I want to be able to program and debug the LPC 4330 Xplorer Board in Keil using the LPC Link-Link2 as programming/debugging device. This already works.
    2. I want to be able to communicate via UART directly with the LPC 4330 Xplorer Board. From what I read in the LPC 4330 Xplorer Board user guide (link in previous      
        post) this is done via the USB1 port in the board, which should be detected by windows as a virtual serial com port. This is the part that's not working.

Thanks for your help

Isaac
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sun Mar 01 04:08:41 MST 2015
He asked if you were using LPCOpen - which is a library, not an IDE:
http://www.lpcware.com/lpcopen

However, it is not clear what you are trying to do, and how. Are you trying to use the Virtual COM port on LPC-Link2 or on the Xplorer board?
If using the LPC-Link2, are you using the latest firmware? See the LCT tool on the page:
http://www.lpcware.com/LPCUtilities

If using the Xplorer board, what software have you downloaded to it? Suggest you start with the LPCOpen examples.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Isaac Verdu on Sat Feb 28 11:09:22 MST 2015
Hi!

No, I'm using Keil. From what I read (http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/download/user_manual/Xplorer/Quick_Start_Guide_Xplorer_LPC4330.pdf), the Virtual COM Port is associated with USB1, but it doesn't really matter which one I use, it's not being detected by windows 7 anyways.

I'm using the Blinky project from an application note provided by Keil (http://www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_233.asp), with uVision 4.74.0.22 and the LPC Link II. The blinky part of the project works just fine, I cann debug and all, but the board itself is never recognized by the Windows Device Manager.

Could it be an issue with Keil, or that project in particular? Should I go back to the LPC IDE, and the project that comes with the board, to see if it makes a difference (I actually never tried it with the included firmware)? If so, where can I find those reference designs?

Thanks a lot for your reply

Isaac.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mc on Sat Feb 28 09:02:44 MST 2015
Hi Issac,
Are you using LPCopen?
NGX LPC4330 Xplorer board has two USB ports.
Which USB port are you using?
0 Kudos