LPC804 vs PIC16F1824 'Data Signal Modulator Module' for comms via 433/915MHz radio link

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC804 vs PIC16F1824 'Data Signal Modulator Module' for comms via 433/915MHz radio link

Jump to solution
jmullen_condose
Contributor III

I am looking to design a small signal gathering device that can be used for security system edge devices, such as door contact/sensor, panic button and water/leak sensor. Essentially, it will be a tiny device powered by a 3v coin cell, sleeping most of the time and reporting status every few minutes (unless a change to environment is detected, such as door open/close change or water detected), connected to a radio module such as the ubiquitous FS1000 433MHz ASK module. 

I have seen designs using the PIC, presumably for it's Data Signal Modulator Module. While there are many devices for commercial "SmartThings" or Alexa systems, I want a simple one locally communicating directly with my main LPC845-based "hub", without any internet or other complications - just a simple, direct radio link to perhaps 6 separate, identifiable devices in each condo unit. Adjacent condo units will have the same system, communicating to 'their' own 5 or 6 local devices, so I will be using an addressable device communication scheme, even though I only need a single status bit otherwise from each.

My question; is there an NXP part with similar capabilities to the PIC? I am looking at the LPC804 which looks like it would do everything, but want to ask the community at large regarding this, in case there is something I missed as far as NXP MCUs goes. The LPC804 does not have a Modulator Module, perhaps there is something more directly suited for simple, low data radio modulation?

Thanks in advance and cheers!
<jeff>

0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Jeffrey,

As Frank said, I suppose that you can use TX pin of  uart to connect the data pin of FS1000 Data Signal Modulator Module, in this way, from the LPC804 perspective, the FS1000 is a uart device.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
frank_m
Senior Contributor III

I personally would look for an external module, perhaps with UART or SPI interface. I suppose not many MCUs with such a specific peripheral are around.

The transmission current of modules (like the FS1000) would limit battery lifetime, though. RF standards are not my field of expertise, though. BLE seems quite a bit overdone. Perhaps Zigbee, UWB, LoRa, or DASH7 ?

> Essentially, it will be a tiny device powered by a 3v coin cell, sleeping most of the time and reporting status every few minutes (unless a change to environment is detected, such as door open/close change or water detected), ...

This essentially means the controller/MCU should wake up from a sleep state, and transmit immediately. Battery life heavily depends on usage, at much-frequented doors/windows, it might be only days.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Jeffrey,

As Frank said, I suppose that you can use TX pin of  uart to connect the data pin of FS1000 Data Signal Modulator Module, in this way, from the LPC804 perspective, the FS1000 is a uart device.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos