Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC55S6X AES Clock Cycles

Jump to solution
shawn00
Contributor I

Hey,

I'm using the Hash-Crypt engine provided by LPC55S69 and I noticed that the datasheet mentions that "The AES block will take 33+2 cycles for each block to encrypt when using 128-bit keys. Using 192-bit key adds six cycles and 256-bit key adds twelve more cycles.".

My question is that what does "2" in "33+2" mean. Does this clock cycles also involve loading plaintext/unloading cipher text time? Or the AES encryption engine is actually pipeline design so it only takes 35 cycles to encrypt two AES blocks and 33 cycles to encrypt one AES blocks?

Also something not really relevant, in section 7.30.1.1 of LPC55S0x (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/LPC55S0x_LPC550x_DS.pdf) it mentions that LPC55S0x supports ICB AES mode. However, the user manual of LPC55S0x  apparently disagrees with that. In section 44.11.1 (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM11424.pdf) there is no any kind of ICB related description except 44.13.13 Mask registers of ICB output which I believe is another mistake. I can see there is a lot of materials reused between LPC55Sxx but clearly there should be differences.

I would assume that LPC55S0x basically just removes ICB extension of hash-crypto engine of LPC55S69 and reuse the rest of the functionalities. But how come the user manual claims that "Security against Side Channel Analysis (power & Electro Magnetic traces) using masking techniques to protect against DPA (Differential Power Analysis), CPA (Correlation Power Analysis) and template attacks." Does this apply on any kind of AES mode? I initially thought this is due to ICB mode as ICB mode is designed as a countermeasure of side channel attack but then there is no ICB mode presented in LPC55S0x so it just makes me really confused.

I would really appreciate any kind of help! Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, HaoQi,

What I get the information of the AES function and performance is that the AES IP is the same for LPC55S6x and LPC55S0x, so they have the same performance and function, so I think the ICB mode of AES module is supported for LPC55S0x.

Regarding the AES encryption performance, the AES block will take 33+2 cycles for each block to encrypt when using 128-bit keys, if you do two block AES encryption(2*128=256 bits), the required clock number is 2*35=70, if you do three block, the time is 3*35.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
shawn00
Contributor I

I compared the user manuals again. Seems like the LPC55S0x is relatively newer than LPC55S6x. The side channel resistant AES implementation is based on the masked technique. Before running AES encryption/decryption the users need to supply a random number to PRNG_SEED register to generate  random masks for AES engine, which does not present on LPC55S6x. Instead of having ICB mode, using masked AES implementation certainly can improve security in terms of side channel attack but still keeps performance. Interesting to see that the same series of microprocessors can have such different AES crypto engine implementation. 

But still, really confused about the AES performance with respect to clock cycles. All user manual said that "AES engine peak performance of 0.5 bytes/clock cycle." and "The AES block will take 33+2 cycles for each block to encrypt when using 128-bit keys.".

I truly wish there will be some examples can clarify this part, such as you need 33 clock cycles to encrypt one AES block(16 bytes) and 35 clock cycles to encrypt two consecutive AES blocks(32 bytes). (But if this is the case you can achieve way higher peak performance than 0.5 bytes/clock cycle.)

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, HaoQi,

What I get the information of the AES function and performance is that the AES IP is the same for LPC55S6x and LPC55S0x, so they have the same performance and function, so I think the ICB mode of AES module is supported for LPC55S0x.

Regarding the AES encryption performance, the AES block will take 33+2 cycles for each block to encrypt when using 128-bit keys, if you do two block AES encryption(2*128=256 bits), the required clock number is 2*35=70, if you do three block, the time is 3*35.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
shawn00
Contributor I

Hi Xiangjun,

Thank you so much for your clarification. That definitely means a lot to my project! Really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, HaoQi,

Regarding your second question whether the LPC55S0x support ICB-AES mode, I will consult with AE team, and post the answer tomorrow or later.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
shawn00
Contributor I

Thank you so much! If they happen can explain the performance of AES with respect to clock cycles that would be awesome!

0 Kudos