LPC546xx USB_VBUS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC546xx USB_VBUS

padraig_fogarty
Contributor III

Figure 48 from the LPC546xx datasheet shows the pullup on USB_DP being switched from Vdd. However my understanding is that the USB specification requires this to be connected to USB_VBUS.

pastedImage_1.png

Given the problems I have seen with regard to USB device enumeration I suspect that the figure is in fact incorrect and the device does switch to USB_VBUS, but I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this detail. Also, if the minimum working voltage for the USB_VBUS could be provided that would also be very helpful.

Regards,

Padraig

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Padraig,

I have confirmed with AE team, the "Fig 48. USB interface on a self-powered device where USB_VBUS = 5 V" is correct, the USB_DP is pulled up to VDD instead of USB_VBUS with the DCON bit is set in the DEVCMDSTAT register.

Regarding the minimum voltage of the USB_VBUS pin, it is VDD*0.7, if the VDD is 3.3V, it is 0.7*3.3V=2.3V.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

padraig_fogarty
Contributor III

Thank you for the response.

However, I find the details concerning since I my understanding is that the USB standard requires that USB_DP be pulled up to VBUS and not VDD; or at least that the pull-up should not be attached if VBUS is not present. Can you confirm how this works on the LPCxxx?

Also, from my own testing I can say that USB device enumeration will fail if the voltage on the USB_VBUS pin is below 2.9V. It certainly does not work anywhere close to 2.3V!

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Padraig,

This is the USB_VBUS pin voltage specs in data sheet of LPC546xx, pls refer to it.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

padraig_fogarty
Contributor III

I had been looking at the datasheet revision 2.6, and it seems this table was added back in Feburary 2020 to revision 2.7; not noticing that was perhaps an oversight on my behalf. In addition to this table it would very useful if the 'Function' listed in the table could be described. I have searched the document and can find no explaination of 'VBUS_valid'. I might guess but I would prefer to have the NXP explain the term as it is intended.

However, and perhaps it is even more important that I note the revision of the datasheet has also changed the title of section 13.7 from "Suggested USB interface solutions" to "Suggested USB0 Full-speed interface solutions". And the table you show above is in a new section "13.8 USB1 High-speed VBUS threshold levels".

So, is it the case that the voltages for USB1 (and given in Table 59) are now different from those previously specified in the datasheet for both USB interfaces?

These new figures do not seem to correspond in any way with the previous description, and I would consider this a very significant alteration of the specification!

Regards,

Padraig

0 Kudos