LPC54608 - Can USB0 support HS as a Device ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC54608 - Can USB0 support HS as a Device ?

k2
Contributor III

LPC54608 USB0 HS Device Mode question

I have a 54608 design, I need USB0 to operate as a HS device and USB1 to operate as HS Host.

Can the USB0 operate in HS mode (device only) ?. I don't need OTG for any of it.

Is USB0 limited to FS because its only a FS PHY ? Or can it operate as a HS Device as well ?

Currently i have USB1 in HS as a host running with, USB0 in FS operating as a device (ROM API mode).

I think the ROM API limits this to FS.

If the ROM API allows HS for USB0 - that would be great, but i don't think it will.

I couldn't find any example code where USB0 is used as a HS Device (or Host) ? Only USB1.

Do I have to move to a ULPI interface to get USB0 to operate in HS ? 

Kevin

11 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kevin,

USB0 in LPC54608 is just the full-speed device or host controller, it can't support the High-speed device.

USB1 can used for High-speed mode, USB0 module don't have the high speed function, it is not the ROM API problem, USB0 hardware can't support it.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

k2
Contributor III

Kerry,

I dont see the LPC 546XX  family supporting ULPI ?

Can you confirm.

Because the 546XX doesnt support ULPI, my design will now move to the LPC1833 (BD 208) to support a ULPI interface.

For the LPC1833 family - Does the ROM API support the ULPI seemlessly ?

Or is there special code that needs to be implemented to make the USB1 port work as HS. 

Its unclear to me how adding a ULPI chip such as the microchip will be plug and play ?

IS there any example code or APP note outlining how to implement the ULPI ?

I assume i'll be enabling the ULPI interface in the GPIO setting/functions, after that how is the ULPI seen ?

Does the USB1 port map into a different address for the ULPI to be seen ?

I assume there are some commands that need to be sent to this ULPI chip ?

Is that all done for me ?

Kevin

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kevin,

1. LPC54608 ULPI

Please refer to this LPC546XX USB training document:

17_LPC546xx USB.pdf 

You can find this information:

pastedImage_4.png

2. LPC1833 ULPI

The LPC1833 ULPI interface support info is in the following table:

pastedImage_6.png

Now answer your several questions about the LPC1833 ULPI:

1)For the LPC1833 family - Does the ROM API support the ULPI seemlessly ?

Or is there special code that needs to be implemented to make the USB1 port work as HS. 

Answer: About the LPC1833 ULPI API support question, I didn't find any information about the ULPI in the usb ROM API, so I think you need to use the USB driver control it.

You can check the LPC1833 user manual about the ULPI usage:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/UM10430.pdf

pastedImage_8.png

Please take care, in LPC18xx series, USB0 support the high speed PHY, you don't need to connect external PHY, but USB1 in high speed, it need to use the ULPI connect with the external high speed PHY.

2)Its unclear to me how adding a ULPI chip such as the microchip will be plug and play ?

Answer: check item 1) and the user manual.

3)IS there any example code or APP note outlining how to implement the ULPI ?

Answer:Please check this application note:AN11309

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN11309.zip

It has the document and the sample code.

4)I assume i'll be enabling the ULPI interface in the GPIO setting/functions, after that how is the ULPI seen ?

5)Does the USB1 port map into a different address for the ULPI to be seen ?

6)I assume there are some commands that need to be sent to this ULPI chip ?

Answer: All 4) 5) 6), please refer to the AN11309 and the chip user manual.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

k2
Contributor III

Kerry,

Couldn't open the LPC546XX USB.pdf link - says unauthorized ...

I couldnt find anything that says the  LPC546XX family will support ULPI

like the LPC43XX and LPC1837/57 do.

If it does that would be great.

I'm now switching over to and laying out a LPC1857 ULPI design with the USB3343 chip for the PHY.

I found the AN11309 appnote last week. Thanks anyways.

Has anyone tried this with the JBD208 package (Leaded).

The app note example uses the 256 pin BGA package using PC0-PC8 pins.

I assume i can set the ULPI clocks to P8 and PB ports in the same way as in the BGA package.

My preference would be to stay with the 546XX family because i have a working design already,

but i couldn't find it saying it supported the ULPI interface anywhere in the datasheet.

I couldn't open your links.

Is the short answer - that the LPC546XX family will not support ULPI ?

In the short term i'm redesigning the ULPI interface with the 1857/4357 chip.

Hoping the leaded 208 pin package will work the same as the BGA 256 pin package.

Easier to build the 208 Pin version than the BGA version. Although i can place BGA's

if i need to. 

Any reason you can think of to not use the 208 pin version for a ULPI design ?

Im using P8-3 thru P8-8 and PB-1 thru PB-6 for the ULPI pins. It all seemed to map ok in the datasheet.

Would have been cool if they could have squeezed this in a smaller footprint.

This 208 package is really huge. 

Tell NXP to create a version that has dual HS ports. Strip out the Ethernet, LCD, ADC, functions to fit it in.

My designs are USB centric. I mainly use HS USB, I2C and I2S functionality.

0 Kudos

k2
Contributor III

Kerry,

do you know of any development boards that have 2 HS PHY's ?

I see chips that 2 HS controllers - like the 43XX series - but none have 2 HS PHYS.

I guess what im looking for is a 2nd HS PHY via a ULPI chip.

I can't find anything.

Ideally what I need is using USB1 (Host mode ) in HS, and a second HS Device (probably need a ULPI chip to add the HS PHY).

Do you know of any boards that have this ?

Alternatively - do you if there is a way the FS Device (using ROM API) can support 512 size packets ?

That would move me along until i can design in a ULPI interface on my board.

Is there a ULPI app note or code example anywhere ? To show how this interfaces with a device stack ?

Kevin 

0 Kudos

k2
Contributor III

Kerry,

I dont see the LPC 546XX  family supporting ULPI ?

Can you confirm.

Because the 546XX doesnt support ULPI, my design will now move to the LPC1833 (BD 208) to support a ULPI interface.

For the LPC1833 family - Does the ROM API support the ULPI seemlessly ?

Its unclear to me how adding a ULPI chip such as the microchip will be plug and play ?

IS there any example code or APP note outlining how to implement the ULPI ?

I assume i'll be enabling the ULPI interface in the GPIO setting/functions, after that how is the ULPI seen ?

Does the USB1 port map into a different address for the ULPI to be seen ?

I assume there are some commands that need to be sent to this ULPI chip ?

Is that all done for me ?

Kevin

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Kerry,

Can you clarify the situation with USB1 - can it be used in HS mode with the ROM API and if so, where can I find some example code?

Thanks for the help,

Andy

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Andy Jackson,

Sorry for my later reply.

From the ROM API function description, I think it support the USB1, but now I don't have the according API code for your reference.

Please don't worry, we also have some other USB1 sample code for your reference.

1. ppt

17_LPC546xx USB.pdf 

HOT_17_USB.pdf 

2. according sample code

LPC546xx Hands-on projects 

Please refer to the training ppt and code.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Kerry,

The example was exactly what I needed and I now have USB1 working via the ROM API - thank you!

Best wishes,

Andy

0 Kudos

k2
Contributor III

Andy,

Are you running USB1 in HS with a ULPI interface ?

I'm designing in an ULPI interface to get 2 HS ports (Host + Device) with the USB3343 chip.

Kevin  

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Kevin,

Sorry, I'm just using the ROM API to get a single HS USB device using the internal transceiver on the LPC5461x.

Best wishes,

Andy

0 Kudos