Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP reset

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by IanB on Sat Apr 02 05:56:08 MST 2016
I am debugging some LPC1517 code, and I find that almost every time I get a "hard fault" error, the processor goes into a state from which it needs an ISP reset.
Now, ISP reset on an LPC15xx is not the easiest to do as I didn't have the foresight to include connectors either BOTH ISP reset pins, so it's a bit of a tricky affair with three bits of 0.2mm wire.
The next problem is that as soon as RESET is negated and before the debugger takes control, the processor restarts, runs the code with the bug in it that causes the hard fault, and we're back to where we started.

IS there any way of avoiding the need for the ISP reset every time I get a hard-fault?

Why can't there be a way of resetting the ISP from Serial Wire?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
bump
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by IanB on Sun Apr 03 14:28:52 MST 2016
Not really:

Quote:
In the case of the standalone LPC-Link2, the target board being connected to will need to have pin 7 of the SWD connector wired to the appropriate ISP signal of the MCU on the target board.

It just connects to the ISP_reset pins and, presumably, pulls them low as appropriate.

So the "two-wire" serial-wire-debug now needs five connections instead of four! (SWDIO, SWCLK, GND, RESET and ISP_RESET) or six in the case of the LPC15xx which has two ISP_RESET pins, neither of which is placed conveniently to track to the connector.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vtw.433e on Sat Apr 02 06:00:37 MST 2016

Quote:
Why can't there be a way of resetting the ISP from Serial Wire?

There is. See this FAQ:
https://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/isp-reset-over-debug
0 Kudos