How to set up the USART Smart Card Interface on LPC435x

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up the USART Smart Card Interface on LPC435x

mgfernandez
Contributor III

Hello, I am trying to setup a smart card interface to communicate my mcu with a MIFARE SAM AV2 chip using the USART Smart Card Interface that is described in the user manual (12.6.2).

I am attaching the connection diagram to the post, as well as a couple captures from the user manual.

Something that's puzzling me is that the UM specifies that the TXD pin of the USART should be open drain, but upon further study the only 2 pins that are open drain in this part are being used by the i2c0 peripheral. Moreover, unlike other LPC parts, this one doesn't have a "open drain" mode for the digital pins, so that's not an option either.

My question is how exactly does one go about configuring this interface on this part? I looked for examples but found none in the support packages. I couldn't find any NXP application notes on the subject either. Is it actually supported? I know the registry to enable to mode exists, but I don't know if it is actually supported by the hardware on this particular line.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

mgfernandez
Contributor III

Ok I've looking into the examples and I've gotten to the point where I get a clock out through the UCLK pin (3.7MHz) which matches my desired 9600 bauds at a 372 oversampling rate. 

However, despite seeing the target device sending data through I/O line at the desired baud rate utilising a protocol analyzer, I cannot pick up this data with the USART (the interrupt never triggers).

I attempted to send data as well but I can't manage to get anything out either. I am following the example that was linked. It doesn't look like you have to do anything too fancy to get it to work, but I don't seem to get anything out. If I disable the smartcard mode it starts transmitting straight away at 9600 bauds (leaving all the other config as is) but of course this is not what I want.

I am quite confused as to what would be causing this, but I haven't really found anyone who's talked about getting this particular part to work with this interface to really have a 1 to 1 comparison or anything to go on with. 

Here is a bit of the code I am using:

/* Initialize debug output via UART for board */
void smartcardInit(void)
{
uint32_t temp = 0;

Chip_SCU_PinMuxSet(SC_TXD_PORT, SC_TXD_PIN, SC_TXD_FUNC_USART);
Chip_SCU_PinMuxSet(SC_UCLK_PORT, SC_UCLK_PIN, SC_UCLK_FUNC_USART);

/* Enable UART clocking. UART base clock(s) must already be enabled */
Chip_Clock_EnableOpts(SC_USART_CLK, true, true, 1);

/* Enable smartcard mode;
* After reset -> ISO 7816-3 compliant asynchronous smart card mode T=0 */
SC_USART->SCICTRL |= UART_SCICTRL_SCIEN;

/* USARTConfig */

NVIC_DisableIRQ(SC_USART_IRQ);

// Databits, stopbits & parity
Chip_UART_ConfigData(SC_USART, UART_LCR_WLEN8 | UART_LCR_SBS_2BIT | UART_LCR_PARITY_EN | UART_LCR_PARITY_EVEN);

/* Calculate clock divider for given baudrate. Round the number by (temp * 2 + 1) / 2 */
temp = ( Chip_Clock_GetRate(SC_USART_CLK) / (SC_OVERSAMPLE / 2) ) / SC_BAUDRATE_STD ; /* baud rate */
temp = (temp + 1) >> 1;

Chip_UART_EnableDivisorAccess(SC_USART);
SC_USART->DLM = (uint32_t) (temp >> & 0xff;
SC_USART->DLL = (uint32_t) temp & 0xff;
SC_USART->OSR = (SC_OVERSAMPLE - 1) << 4;
Chip_UART_DisableDivisorAccess(SC_USART);

/* Smartcard configuration */
SC_USART->SCICTRL &= ~((0xffUL << | (0x3UL << 5)); /* clear guard bits and retries */
SC_USART->SCICTRL |=
(UART_SCICTRL_GUARDTIME(1)) | /* guard bits */
(UART_SCICTRL_TXRETRY(0)); /* retries */

NVIC_EnableIRQ(SC_USART_IRQ);

/***************************************************************************/

Chip_UART_IntEnable(SC_USART, (UART_IER_RBRINT | UART_IER_THREINT | UART_IER_RLSINT));

Chip_UART_SetupFIFOS(SC_USART, (UART_FCR_FIFO_EN | UART_FCR_TRG_LEV0) );

/* Enable UART Transmit */
Chip_UART_TXEnable(SC_USART);
}

void smartcardWrite(void){
// SC_USART->SCICTRL = 0; // if I disable the smart card mode it sends data but of course it doesn't fit what I want
uint8_t msg[16] = "abcdefghijklmnop";

Chip_UART_SendByte(SC_USART, msg[0]);
Chip_UART_SendByte(SC_USART, msg[1]);
Chip_UART_SendByte(SC_USART, msg[2]);
Chip_UART_SendByte(SC_USART, msg[3]);

// Chip_UART_SendBlocking(SC_USART, msg, 16);
}

I also tried doing:

/* THRE status, contain valid data */
if ( (SC_USART->LSR & (UART_LSR_THRE)) )
{
Chip_UART_SendByte(SC_USART, *msg);
}

But once you write something to the THR register LSR becomes 0 and never changes state again, indicating the data never gets through the FIFO onto the TSR to actually be sent.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Martin,

For LPC43xx, only USART0, USART2, USART3 modules support ISO7816 protocol, for detailed information about the pin connection, pls refer to section 40.7.6 Smart card mode in UM10503.pdf, I copy the part here:

In ISO7816 mode, the TX pin is an open drain and bidirectional pin.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

xiangjun_rong_0-1634525077159.png

0 Kudos

mgfernandez
Contributor III

Yeah, I saw that part already and I attached it to the original post. In fact a large part of my post is based around asking questions about that very part of the user manual you are quoting as being the solution.

I don't think the TXD pin is actually bidirectional as it's not referenced as such in the pinout, only in that one section. The i2c pins, on the contrary, are shown as being open drain in multiple places, what makes me think this might not be the case on the USART. If you have actually used it and can verify it actually works the way you mention then that would help.

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

mgfernandez
Contributor III

Thank you! I will give them a go.

0 Kudos