Dual Image Update vs Dual Enhanced image

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Image Update vs Dual Enhanced image

bob_murphy
Contributor I

Please clarify some confusion I am having between two similar boot options. The Dual Image Update process described in the LPC55Sxx boot loader document (Ref below) and the Dual Enhanced image process as outlined in the LPC5411x user document. 

Question 1: Is the only difference between the Dual Image Update process and the Dual Enhanced image process is that the Dual image process overwrites the the active image with the new image while the Dual Enhanced leaves both images in place and runs the higher of the two valid images?

Question 2; Does the LPC55Sxx support Dual Enhanced now with the expectation to support Dual Image update in a future revision or is there no dual image option in the current release and the future release will only support Dual Enhanced image?

Question3: If the LPC55Sxx will only support Dual Image Update, can dual image update be configured to act like Dual Enhanced image. Meaning can the Dual Image Update be configured to run the second image in place (i.e. not at address 0) and leave the first version in place.

Ref:

UM10914
LPC5411x User manual
Rev. 2.0 — 9 May 2018

AN12327
Firmware Update Using Secondary Bootloader
Rev. 0 — 23 January 2019

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Robert Murphy ,

Question 1-> Yes, the main difference is AN12327 implements a simple dual image update example on
LPC55xx, while Dual Enhanced images(Rom bootloader on LPC5411x) give the ability to run one image from flash, while programming another image located elsewhere in flash.

Q2&Q3-> So far, there is only this Secondary Bootloader for LPC55xx in official, not sure whether develop others in future.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos