DMX RDM Slave (AN11153) modification

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMX RDM Slave (AN11153) modification

thiagorodrigues
Contributor II

The AN11153 describes a hardware for DMX  RDM (master/slave).

I would like to remove the optocouplers and connect the directly to the power stage and DMX lines. Is it possible to make such modification without adding extra hardware like level inverters ? 

Regards,

Thiago

0 Kudos
2 Replies

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Thiago,

Because of the distance between nodes, DMX512 transmitters and receivers require different power supplies. This will increase the impedance of the earth ground, making it more likely that ground currents from other sources will find their way into the link’s ground wire. Isolating the link reduces or even eliminates these problems so there is no recommended to remove the optocouplers.

Have a nice day!

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

thiagorodrigues
Contributor II

Hello soledad,

Thanks for you reply. I agree it is safer, I was thinking about saving a few bucks but...

In the SDK, only the .bin file is provided. I am relatively new to LPC world (used to AVR), I´m using the FlashMagic to flash the LPC but it only accepts .hex files. How can I convert it, or recompile it?

0 Kudos