cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't debug LPC8N04

m_spit
Contributor III

Hi,

I have some troubles with debugging my LPC8N04 devkit board in MCUXpresso. Compiling an example program goes without errors or warnings, but when I press the blue debug button, the following error occurs

Exception

Reason:

Unable to open probe index 1.

Error: Probe not open

With error codes

at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.checkServerReply(RedlinkServerClient.java:214)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.openByIndex(RedlinkServerClient.java:740)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.ideConnect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:205)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.connect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:187)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.discover(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:146)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.TargetDiscovery.jtagDiscovery(TargetDiscovery.java:457)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.getEmulatorInfo(LaunchScriptUtils.java:248)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.init(LaunchScriptUtils.java:488)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:156)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:143)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.services.TargetDiscoveryService.getTargetDiscovery(TargetDiscoveryService.java:138)
      at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.override.LSFinalLaunchSequence$TargetDiscoveryJob.run(LSFinalLaunchSequence.java:110)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

And after an automatic retry, 3 other error messages saying it can't connect with the chips debug port.

The console says this:

Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.
Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (using server started externally) reports:
'Ee(42). Could not connect to core.'
Retrying...
Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.
Server OK but no connection to probe 1 core 0 (after 3 attempts) - Ee(42). Could not connect to core.
============= SCRIPT: lpc8n04connect.scp =============
Reset pin state: 00
============= END SCRIPT =============================
Failed on connect: Ee(42). Could not connect to core.
No connection to chip's debug port

So what I've tried:

• Googling the issue. This issue seems not been fixed by anyone
  • Checked the linkserver with the red 'chain' and 'boot' icons, it is OK
  • Checked the VCOM driver, it shows up as "NXP LPC11Uxx VCOM", which is as to be expected
  • Checked devices and printers, shows up as LPC11U3x CMSIS-DAP v1.0.7, as to be expected
  • Reinstalled MCUXpresso, also with new workspaces and a full whipe from my pc, multiple times
  • Checked the debug settings. The device is automatically detected, no weird settings found
  • Different example codes compiled and tried to debug them
  • Tried debugging with batteries in the coin-cell holders
  • Different USB cable
  • Different USB port, as well as powered USB hub
  • Updated the LPC11Uxx firmware
  • Played around a lot with the jumper settings for SBW debug
  • Pressed and hold reset and S2, switched S1, tried every possible combination
  • Checked the components on the hardware. I did notice that D44 and D45 are defective (broken off) while this board is brand new.
  • Checked if the demo app still works with an Android smartphone
  • Unplugged all other USB devices
  • Checked all updates of MCUXpresso
  • Checked the BSP of the devkit
  • Watched all startguides of the devkit, showing that they can normally debug out of the box (which I can't)
  • Checked firewall settings
  • Reinstalled motherboard chipset drivers on computer

What I'm planning to try:

• Ask help on the forum (hello there)
  • Different PC, since this is a hardware dev machine, eclipse and/or usb drivers might collide with other hardware development things
  • Different IDE?
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Marouane
Contributor I

same probleme with LPCS55S69

0 Kudos

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Hope you are doing well. Could you please try to reinstall the drivers, it could fix the problem. You can download the LPCSCRYPT, when you install it, all LPC drivers are installed.

Let me know your results

Best Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

m_spit
Contributor III

Apparently the devkit works on a different windows machine.

The board however, still doesn't work on the original machine. I tried wiping almost every USB driver on this machine and ran a cleaning program, those also didn't work.

There's something weird going on in the Windows drivers but I don't know what.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

It could be a firewall problem. Check that the firewall is not blocking MCUxpresso and redlinkserv.

0 Kudos

m_spit
Contributor III

I checked the firewall settings again. I now gave explicit permission through my firewall for both MCUXpresso and Redlinkserv in both personal as public networks, but it didn't solve the issue..

0 Kudos