cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning with ARM

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by amlwwalker on Fri Jul 12 04:06:18 MST 2013

Hi,

I have programmed 8 bit AVR's but I now want to learn about programming ARM chips.

I have got the gnuarm compiler, lpcopen and Mark Burtons make files (<a href="https://bitbucket.org/smartavionics/lpcopen-make">https://bitbucket.org/smartavionics/lpcopen-make</a>) all working. It builds a hex and I think I can flash my board. However zilcho happens. I cant get it to do anything. I have tried to simplify the example down to just turning on an led but I cant even get that to work.

The board I bought was this one:

<a href="https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD4.3''/">https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD4.3''/</a>

If anyone could help me with a very simple example, just to turn the led on that is on port 1 pin 18 that would atleast give me the hope that my board is flashing correclty.

The example Mark produces uses the Freertos which I want to get onto understanding, and it should output some data on the serial line but I cant get anything to come through.

ANy help just to give me a leg up would be fantastic. I have to say the learning curve on the arm is much steeper than on the AVR.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by studyembedded on Wed Sep 11 23:42:30 MST 2013
There are hundreds of boards available using LPC1769...just download example programs for required IDE
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nanohueso on Wed Sep 11 15:24:43 MST 2013
Hi everybody, im trying to learn LPC1769 because im using it for University. Does someone have simple examples? suchas as turning on/off the led of the stick ?
My email is sostomariano@gmail.com

Thanks
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Pacman on Wed Aug 28 11:44:24 MST 2013
Hi Alex.

If I had gone straight to the Cortex-M3, I would have saved so much time, but I thought that the SAM7 would be easy, as the AVR was easy.
But lucky me that I found the LPC4330 and LPC1768.

The Makefile I've made is for LPC1768, but would most likely work with LPC1788 with a few modifications.
Another file, which is necessary, is a startup file. I wrote my own here as well (since I wanted extra features as well).
I also wrote a linker-script, there I had a lot of struggling as well, but after a while, I seem to have caught the basics.

About email - yes it's also a bit faster for me. I'll send you one...

Love
Jens
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by amlwwalker on Wed Aug 28 11:27:14 MST 2013
Hi Jens,
Wow, you have come at an amazing time.
I am using the LPC1788. I have managed to get it to output serial data, and flash an led, but I am struggling with using any of the libraries available to use the peripherals (timers, ADC and most importantly the LCD).

This is the board I have:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD4.3''/

If you have any project that you can send me that you think will work I would be very happy.

You must have a lot of patience if you went for 2 years! The learning curve is much bigger here isn't it.

I would prefer to use makefiles for my projects than an IDE, so if you can get me up to speed I should be ok when I can use the things like the timers/adc/lcd etc, and perhaps I can then return the favour some how.

I have sent you a pm with my email as it is much easier to talk on email I always think

Thanks

Alex
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Pacman on Tue Aug 27 14:17:37 MST 2013
Hi amlwwalker.

I too came from the AVR. I had a lot of trouble when I moved to SAM7, and couldn't get it to work for 2 years; noone wanted to help me at the official forum for that stuff.
Eventually I got it to work, but it was so complicated with all those things I had to turn on before a timer would finally work.

After that I found NXP's Cortex-M based microcontrollers, and things started to get a lot easier.

First of all, I compiled my own toolchains and built OpenOCD as well.
This was a hazzle, as I'm using a PowerPC based Mac. It's no problem compiling for intel, but PPC is a bit more difficult to get a correctly compiled toolchain.
Next thing was that I didn't have the header files I needed, nor did I have libraries, so I started pulling things from Olimex's site and after some time I learned about sw.lpcware.com, where I downloaded the examples for my LPC1768.

I still had problems, because I couldn't use the Makefiles provided. I rolled my own; it took some time, and I got it working.
If you're using LPC176x/LPC175x, I might be able to send you an example you could try out using a GNU toolchain.

If you're using some other LPC microcontroller, please let me know which one, and I may be able to create a project (I can't promise, though).

Love
Jens
0 Kudos