cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Serial Port on TWR_SER Module

Jump to solution
ramstell
Contributor III

i'm using a TWR-K64F120M and TWR_SER modules in a tower and would like to know how to access the serial port on the TWR_SER using MQX and KSDK 1.2.0.

Using MQX 4.2 classic and changing the BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL to "ittyf:" I can successfully run the eth_to_serial_twrk64f120m demo using the serial port on the TWR_SER board.

When running the same eth_to_serial_twrk64f120m demo using MQX and the KSDK it uses device "tty:" which is itself uses "nio_ser1:" and the serial data appears OpenSDA USB COM port.

How can this be changed to use the serial port on the TWR_SER board?

Kind regards

Roger

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

It's now working!

I reverted the bootloader to the universal DEBUG OpenSDA application (DEBUG_OpenSDA_for_MBED_Bootloader_by_Pemicro_v108.bin).

Kind regards

Roger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Roger,

In the TWR-K64, if you want use the serial port of TWR_SER board ,  from the SCH  , we can see that you need  choose UART5 .

Have a great day,
Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

Thank you for the information.

Changing the demo to use UART5 does work.

Can you, however, confirm which UART to use for the OpenSDA virtual COM port?

If its UART1, what position should links J10 and J15 be set to?

Kind regards

Roger

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Roger,

Yes , UART 1 .

J10 ->  link 2 and 3;

J15 ->  link 2 and 3;

Have a great day,
Alice

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

I've set UART1 and set links as above. Looking at the circuit diagram that look's correct, but the manual has the description of both links the opposite way round.

There does, however, appear to be a problem when I run the eth_to_serial_twrk64f120m demo with the OpenSDA virtual COM port (COM3). Nothing is displayed on COM3. If you type keys, however, into COM3 they do appear on the telnet connection. If I changed UART1 back to UART5 all works correctly. Also, if I run a simple hello world program I cannot get any output on COM3.

I'm debugging using the OpenSDA Embedded Debug USB Interface with MQX and KSDK 1.2.

Kind regards

Roger

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Roger,

I create a simple project on KDS3.0 , KSDK1.2 ,about the TWR-K64 board , use the UART1, OpenSDA virtual COM,

it can work well , pleas see the attachment , you can test it on your side , and tell me the result .

This meaning the SCH is right .

BR

Alice

0 Kudos
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

Thank you for the test project.

However, I still do not get any output on Virtual COM Port (COM3) when running the program using the debugger. Tried UART1 at both 9600 (default) and 115200 baud.

If I change UART1 to UART5 using PE and retest then all works.

Kind regards

Roger

0 Kudos
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

I've modified your test program to read a key. With both UART1 and UART5 this work successfully and the corrected key is read. The problem is I cannot get any output via UART1 on the Virtual COM Port. The same problem I get with MQX and the Ethernet to Serial demo.

Kind regards

Roger

0 Kudos
ramstell
Contributor III

Hi Alice

It's now working!

I reverted the bootloader to the universal DEBUG OpenSDA application (DEBUG_OpenSDA_for_MBED_Bootloader_by_Pemicro_v108.bin).

Kind regards

Roger

0 Kudos