mkw41z

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheshnathchauha
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using mkw41z micro controller in my project.when i connect the my board for programming using swd ,it reset the development board .because my controller is in reset mode after powering up. so please tell me

1. Is mkw41z always stay in reset mode or any problems here?

2. Is mkw41z initially in reset mode if yes then how to program if no then whats the problems?

3. Is mkw41z needs any type of initilization to work ?

4. Is new and blank mkw41z show 0.22v at its reset pin?

Kindly give me suggestions 

Thank you 

1 Solution
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi sheshnath chauhan

I already contact you with a mail, did you get it?

Am I correct to assume that you are using FRDM-KW41Z to program a custom board with MKW41Z and SWD pins?

Regards your questions;

MKW41Z is not always in reset mode, if a custom board is been used, please verify the state of the reset with a oscilloscope, and also verify that this pin has a external pullup resistor.

2. Is mkw41z initially in reset mode if yes then how to program if no then whats the problems?
If you are using a new (blank) MCU, then the problem is not the MCU,
If there is no code programmed, then the processor will periodically reset due to core lockups, Core try to execute code and when there isn't any code to execute, then it reset.

3. Is mkw41z needs any type of initialization to work ?

No, you should be able to program it even if it is a new device.

As I mentioned in my previous answer, when a MCU is blank, core is constantly resetting, so it is common to see a sawtooth signal in the reset pin, even with this behavior, you should be able to program the device.

Have you seen this post from our colleague?
 Using the Freescale Freedom (FRDM-KL43Z) to Debug other Boards

Here, he explain how to use FRDM board to debug other board.

Please verify that you have correctly isolated SWD_CLK signal from the OpenSDA interface to the On board MCU, for FRDM-KW41Z you have the available J12 jumper, please cut this trace to do this.

Hope this information could help you.
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi sheshnath chauhan

I already contact you with a mail, did you get it?

Am I correct to assume that you are using FRDM-KW41Z to program a custom board with MKW41Z and SWD pins?

Regards your questions;

MKW41Z is not always in reset mode, if a custom board is been used, please verify the state of the reset with a oscilloscope, and also verify that this pin has a external pullup resistor.

If you are using a new (blank) MCU, then the problem is not the MCU,
If there is no code programmed, then the processor will periodically reset due to core lockups, Core try to execute code and when there isn't any code to execute, then it reset.

3. Is mkw41z needs any type of initialization to work ?

No, you should be able to program it even if it is a new device.

As I mentioned in my previous answer, when a MCU is blank, core is constantly resetting, so it is common to see a sawtooth signal in the reset pin, even with this behavior, you should be able to program the device.

Have you seen this post from our colleague?
 Using the Freescale Freedom (FRDM-KL43Z) to Debug other Boards

Here, he explain how to use FRDM board to debug other board.

Please verify that you have correctly isolated SWD_CLK signal from the OpenSDA interface to the On board MCU, for FRDM-KW41Z you have the available J12 jumper, please cut this trace to do this.

Hope this information could help you.
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!