cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adc sample rate

stellar41
Contributor I

Hello

I want to prototype a simple data acquisition system.  The initial requirements are fairly minimal.  I need 16-bit 1Msps ADC and a 12bit DAC.  The K70 Tower System or the Freedom K64 Development Platform both look like good starting points for this.

My questions are these - Will either of these boards meet the required 1Msps in a real world application, is the CPU involved in the sampling process or is it autonomous,  and what would the sample buffer size be? (I need to real a continuous 10000 samples, and then save to sd card) 

Sorry,  I have no background in micro-controllers so my language is nontechnical. 

thanks for your help.

George

0 Kudos
2 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,George,

Of course, the ADC converter of K60 can sample analog channel with 16 bits resolution, but it can not reach up to 1MSPS, the maximum conversion rate is 818.33KHz if the resolution is less than 13 bits, the maximum conversion rate is 461KHz if the resolution is 16 bits, note that the ADC resolution of Kinetis K family is programmable. For detailed inf, pls refer to section 6.6.1.1 16-bit ADC operating conditions in data sheet of K60.

If you want to get 1MHz conversion rate, I suggest you use KV4x family,  the ADC is cyclic ADC, the rated resolution is 12 bits rather than 16 bits, but the conversion rate can reach 1MHz or greater. In the case, I suggest you use eDMA to transfer data from ADC sample register to internal SRAM. The KV4 family also has 12 bits DAC converter.

This is KV4 family website:

http://tinyurl.com/l25y2c3

BR

XiangJun Rong

stellar41
Contributor I

Thanks XiangJun Rong,  I will look into the KV4, though perhaps the FRDM-K64F may be sufficient for my purposes during prototyping.  I didn't realise that an evaluation board with 16bit 1Msps adc would be such a challenge to find.

0 Kudos