What is difference between OpenSDA and OSBDM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is difference between OpenSDA and OSBDM?

Jump to solution
velmuruganm
Contributor I

Anyone can please brief about the basic difference between OpenSDA and OSBDM.I know both OpenSDA and OSBDM are used for debugging,but i want to know where to use OpenSDA and where to use OSBDM..

Thanks

1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In short: OpenSDA is the newer technology, and new boards from Freescale come with OpenSDA. OSBDM/OSJTAG is pretty much depreciated.

OSBDM/OSJTAG:

- open source firmware (published with hardware reference design), so you can build your own probe based on it.

- for Kinetis (K family) (OSJTAG) and ColdFire/S08 (OSBDM)

- maintained by P&E

- using S08JM60 as processor

- slower than OpenSDA

- 'monolithic': it is just the firmware

- debug mode only, no mass storage bootloader

- supported by multiple tool vendors (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, ...)

- You can debug any processor with it

OpenSDA:

- NOT open source (hardware schematics is open), but firmware is closed source, so you cannot build your own probe based on it

- Only for Kinetis (K and L family)

- maintained by P&E

- using Kinetis K20 as processor

- faster than OSBDM/OSJTAG

- 'application loader' concept: you can load on top of the bootloader different application: mass storage bootloader, debug application, ...

- 'application' SDA files from P&E, Segger, USBDM

- supported by multiple tool chains (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, ...)

- Using the P&E firmware, you only can debug the processor on the board (not using OpenSDA to debug an off-board processor).

- Otherwise you need to use a different .SDA firmware (see JTAG/SWD Debugging with the FRDM-KL25Z Board, Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer)

Maybe I missed something, but I hope it is accurate enough. See as well http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/09/20/opensda-on-the-freedom-kl25z-board/

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In short: OpenSDA is the newer technology, and new boards from Freescale come with OpenSDA. OSBDM/OSJTAG is pretty much depreciated.

OSBDM/OSJTAG:

- open source firmware (published with hardware reference design), so you can build your own probe based on it.

- for Kinetis (K family) (OSJTAG) and ColdFire/S08 (OSBDM)

- maintained by P&E

- using S08JM60 as processor

- slower than OpenSDA

- 'monolithic': it is just the firmware

- debug mode only, no mass storage bootloader

- supported by multiple tool vendors (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, ...)

- You can debug any processor with it

OpenSDA:

- NOT open source (hardware schematics is open), but firmware is closed source, so you cannot build your own probe based on it

- Only for Kinetis (K and L family)

- maintained by P&E

- using Kinetis K20 as processor

- faster than OSBDM/OSJTAG

- 'application loader' concept: you can load on top of the bootloader different application: mass storage bootloader, debug application, ...

- 'application' SDA files from P&E, Segger, USBDM

- supported by multiple tool chains (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, ...)

- Using the P&E firmware, you only can debug the processor on the board (not using OpenSDA to debug an off-board processor).

- Otherwise you need to use a different .SDA firmware (see JTAG/SWD Debugging with the FRDM-KL25Z Board, Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer)

Maybe I missed something, but I hope it is accurate enough. See as well http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/09/20/opensda-on-the-freedom-kl25z-board/

I hope this helps.