USB FLash program without Code Warrior or IAR

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB FLash program without Code Warrior or IAR

davidcav
Contributor II

Are there any software, drivers, or source code out there to flash program the K60N512 over the usb interface without using IAR or codewarrior IDE.  I basically need a program that can access the ram, write a flash loader program, and then execute the flash loader program.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

chaoyi
Contributor I
hi you can use J-link to access the Kinetis chips. and J-Flash is a cool tool to access and program the RAM and Flash,Try that.
0 Kudos

jbsnyder
Contributor I

Presumably with J-Link/J-Flash one is using the J-Link hardware as well instead of the JM60 OSJTAG/OSBDM chip that's built into the tower.  At least for me it doesn't recognize the built-in debugging chip (I suppose I wouldn't expect it to given that it isn't SEGGER hardware).

Regarding the Signum tool: does this work with the on-board usb->JTAG/Serial interface?  Also, when trying to register in order to get a download link it appears that I have to have purchased something from the company in order to sign up for an account in order to get a download link?

I've been poking around in the API provided by P&E micro for the OSJTAG/OSBDM device trying to understand how one might flash this thing using the provided API, however I'm not precisely sure what series of calls one would need to make in order for this to go according to plan.  It appears to have functions to read and write device memory, which might include support for doing so with flash (not sure).  I'm not familiar enough with how this is usually done by a regular JTAG debugger.  I've got some JTAG debuggers with IDC connectors, but none using this new Cortex Debug (20 pin) connector.

0 Kudos

RobertSignum
Contributor I

Why you want to program the board without any debugger if you want to work with on-board-usb and the Tower?

Your observations about Signum are correct.

Our Flasher tool works using JTAGjet emulator (which has 20-pin connector capability).

This Flasher is designed to work with ANY board with Kinetis processor  - not only with the tower system which has OSJTAG hardware build in. If someone will build own hardware board with Kinetis there will be no extra JTAG controllers there.

Robert

0 Kudos

jbsnyder
Contributor I

Sorry I wasn't clear there, what I was meaning about the on-board usb was the on-board USB OSJTAG/OSBDM, not the Kinetis' USB features. Thanks for clarifying things.

I suppose I can either get an adapter, some new hardware, wait for a solution, or attempt to put something together myself :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

RobertSignum
Contributor I

Hi,

Sorry for confusion from my side. By on-board-USB I meant on-board-USB JTAG adapter. It is great idea for eval boards, but for real, productions boards you should use external JTAG (or printf and pray :smileyhappy:.

You can try to flash the CPU yourself, but be aware that flashing Kinetis is a little complicated process ... Some more advanced flashing options (like unlocking locked CPU) can be only achieved via JTAG.

There is a difference when you want to do flashing from inside of debugger (for development) and flashing of ready-to-ship product. From you question I understand that you do not want (or cannot) use flashing from inside of debugger.

Cheers,

Robert

0 Kudos

RobertSignum
Contributor I

Hi,

It is a lot of work to develop programming tool by itself ...

We (Signum Systems) provide a batch mode flasher tool which supports Kinetis CPUs.

All you need to do is provide an image to be programmed and JTAG connectivity to the board and the flasher does the rest.

Here is example of programming 64K bytes test file (with erase and verification):

C:\Signum\Flasher\TestKinetis>..\SigFlashCmd -cpu Cortex-M4 -flash Kinetis -dump -erase

-program ..\testdata\64k.bin -offset 0x10000 -verify -time
SigFlashCmd Version 1.19 (C) Signum Systems Corp. 2006-2011
..\SigFlashCmd -cpu Cortex-M4 -flash Kinetis -dump -erase -program ..\testdata\64k.bin -offset 0x10000 -verify -time
Starting ...
OK - Connected to the emulator ...
OK - Connected to the CPU ...
Geometry:
  bank #0 addr=0x00000000 size=256KB (128*2KB)
Erasing sectors 0x00010000 .. 0x0001FFFF (64KB) ...
  TIME: Erase        0.37 sec
Programming 0x00010000 .. 0x0001FFFF (64KB) ...
  TIME: Program      0.65 sec (perf =  97.74 KB/sec)
Verifying 0x00010000 .. 0x0001FFFF (64KB) ...
  TIME: Verify       0.33 sec (perf = 196.45 KB/sec)
OK - Flash programming finished ...
OK - Exiting ...
OK - Done

C:\Signum\Flasher\TestKinetis>

As you can see it takes ~1.5 seconds to program 64K bytes of data (with ease and verification).

Robert

0 Kudos