cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-K65F180M OSC_CR Register

Mike_d
Contributor IV

Hello,

I was wondering about the load capacitance for the 1600084 Pericom crystal on the board.  According to the datasheet the calibration load capacitance is 15pF.  The settings in the tower examples have the internal load capacitors disabled.  Shouldn't the internal load capacitors be set to match?

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

-Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael del Busto,

According to the reference manual:

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

When use Connection1, it is better to use the internal load capacitors.

The tower code didn't enable the internal load capacitors and it also works ok, because the cap loading also include stray capacitance for PCB layout, 16MHz can start up with that level of stray capacitance.

So, it would be better to use internal caps and customer need to check with their own board for which cap value to use, possibly with some board simulation to include PCB layout stray capacitance.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike_d
Contributor IV

Hi Kerry,

When selecting the internal load capacitors is it assigning that capacitance value on either side of the crystal or is the value selected the load capacitance applied?

e.g. CLoad = (Cx * Cy) / (Cx + Cy ) + Cstray

Regards,

-Mike

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

The internal capacitance value on both side of the crystal, and connect to ground.

Just like Figure 28-4, Cx=Cy= internal capacitance.

Cload= Cx_internal+Cstray=Cy_internal+Cstray

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael del Busto,

About this question, I am checking it with our according department now, and wait for the reply.

After I get the reply, I will let you know ASAP, please wait patiently.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos