Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI Documentation Error - protocol clock

Jump to solution
pmcl
Contributor I

Hi All,

I'm looking at the K70 Reference Manual, Chapter 54, SPI.

In the section on the SPIx-CTARn, pages 1815 onwards, it mentions 1/fp in various formula.

I'm trying to set up a "Delay After Transfer". According to page 1818:

"The Delay after Transfer is a multiple of the protocol clock period, and it is computed according to the following equation:

t(DT) = 1/fp x PDT x DT"

This means that 1/fp is the protocol period, and fp is meant to stand for the protocol frequency (bit rate).

However, upon testing, it appears that the delay seems to be a multiple of the module clock, not the protocol clock. I'm using a protocol clock of 1 MHz and a module clock of 25 MHz, and the delay is exactly 25 times smaller than the formula.

Is the documentation wrong? Should it say "module clock" rather than "protocol clock" and therefore all the other formulas/wording needs to change too? Is this a common problem across the Kinetis family?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Yes, thank you for reporting the issue. I entered in a PDM ticket against the manual requesting to have this fixed. The manual did get an update somewhat recently, so I doubt the documentation team will get to this any time soon.

If you need the updated documentation, let me know and I'll see what I can do to expedite.

Regards,

Melissa

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Yes, this is not that clear when using fp to represent module clock. This has been fixed with other Kinetis document where it is changed to fsys. 

Hao

0 Kudos
pmcl
Contributor I

Hi Hao,

Thanks for the quick response.

It's not just the "fp" that's the problem - the descriptions explicitly mention "protocol clock", not "module clock", so the wording that goes with fp needs to change.

Anyway, I was looking for a way to point out the error to someone in NXP - didn't see a direct link to "report an error", so I posted on the forum.

Thanks for your help.

PMcL

0 Kudos
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reporting the documentation error. I will let associated person know this.

melissah‌ Could you help look at this reported documentation issue for K70 SPI module?

Hao

0 Kudos
melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Yes, thank you for reporting the issue. I entered in a PDM ticket against the manual requesting to have this fixed. The manual did get an update somewhat recently, so I doubt the documentation team will get to this any time soon.

If you need the updated documentation, let me know and I'll see what I can do to expedite.

Regards,

Melissa

pmcl
Contributor I

Hi Melissa,

I'm fine with the current documentation - now that I know about the error.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

PMcL

0 Kudos