Programming a new out-of-the-box MKV58 MCU using the openSDA circuit signals from a TWR-KV58F220M system

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming a new out-of-the-box MKV58 MCU using the openSDA circuit signals from a TWR-KV58F220M system

ahmedbajwa
Contributor I

Hi, 
we're part of a student team and we're going to use an MKV58 MCU for our project. We have a JTAG connection to the MCU set up with a 19-pin cortex-M header and we also have access to the UART TX/RX signal paths of the MCU. We were wondering if we could use the UART TX/RX coupled with the SWD_DIO and SWD_CLK signals from the openSDA to program our new MCU? 

The main thing we'd like to know is whether the new MCU would be programmable in this way and if it is, is there a guide and/or reference that can help us do it? also, would we first need to get a bootloader program in the main MCU before being able to use the openSDA SWD/UART signals to program it or can we perform the programming on a new MCU (which comes with a flashloader application pre-programmed)? 

I've attached an image of the openSDA signals that are mentioned above, mainly the UART/SWD/JTAG signals. 

Thanks for any help or tips!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Ahmed,

From your description, I see that you order the TWR-KV58F220M board, you want to download code and debug it, right?

If it is the case, after you take out the TWR-KV58F220M board from box, just connect the USB cable with port J22, then D8 LED will light. after you open the Device Manager on the PC with Windows OS, the OPEN_SDA is displayed as mbed serial port, it is okay. pastedImage_3.pngon

Which tools are you using KDS or MCUExpresso tools even IAR?

You can go to the link:

www.nxp.com/ksdk

download the KSDK package based on the TWR-KV58 and the corresponding tools. Then you can use the tools to download example code and debug.

This is quick start for the board. Pls ignore the Freemaster tools, just download a simple example.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/TWR-KV58F220M-QSG.pdf 

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos