Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK22FN512VLH12 Zephyr build error

Jump to solution
laszlomonda
Contributor V

Hi guys,

We need to port our bare-metal, KSDK-based firmware to Zephyr, but I can't even build the Hello World Zephyr sample application on the FRDM-K22F dev board:

Building hello_world
/bin/sh -c west build --build-dir /home/laci/download/hello_world/build /home/laci/download/hello_world --pristine --board frdm_k22f --no-sysbuild -- -DNCS_TOOLCHAIN_VERSION:STRING="NONE" -DBOARD_ROOT:STRING="/home/laci/projects/firmware-uhk" -DCONF_FILE:STRING="/home/laci/download/hello_world/prj.conf"

-- west build: generating a build system
Loading Zephyr default modules (Zephyr base).
-- Application: /home/laci/download/hello_world
-- CMake version: 3.25.1
-- Found Python3: /usr/bin/python3.10 (found suitable exact version "3.10.12") found components: Interpreter 
-- Cache files will be written to: /home/laci/.cache/zephyr
-- Zephyr version: 3.3.99 (/home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr)
-- Found west (found suitable version "1.1.0", minimum required is "0.7.1")
-- Board: frdm_k22f
-- Found host-tools: zephyr 0.16.1 (/home/laci/apps/zephyr-sdk-0.16.1)
-- Found toolchain: zephyr 0.16.1 (/home/laci/apps/zephyr-sdk-0.16.1)
-- Found Dtc: /home/laci/apps/zephyr-sdk-0.16.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/dtc (found suitable version "1.6.0", minimum required is "1.4.6") 
-- Found BOARD.dts: /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/boards/arm/frdm_k22f/frdm_k22f.dts
In file included from /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/boards/arm/frdm_k22f/frdm_k22f.dts:11,
                 from <command-line>:
/home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/boards/arm/frdm_k22f/frdm_k22f-pinctrl.dtsi:10:10: fatal error: nxp/kinetis/MK22FN512VLH12-pinctrl.h: No such file or directory
   10 | #include <nxp/kinetis/MK22FN512VLH12-pinctrl.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
CMake Error at /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/cmake/modules/extensions.cmake:3714 (message):
  failed to preprocess devicetree files (error code 1):
  /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/boards/arm/frdm_k22f/frdm_k22f.dts
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/cmake/modules/dts.cmake:223 (zephyr_dt_preprocess)
  /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/cmake/modules/zephyr_default.cmake:115 (include)
  /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/share/zephyr-package/cmake/ZephyrConfig.cmake:66 (include)
  /home/laci/apps/ncs/zephyr/share/zephyr-package/cmake/ZephyrConfig.cmake:92 (include_boilerplate)
  CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /usr/bin/cmake -DWEST_PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 -B/home/laci/download/hello_world/build -GNinja -DBOARD=frdm_k22f -DNCS_TOOLCHAIN_VERSION:STRING=NONE -DBOARD_ROOT:STRING=/home/laci/projects/firmware-uhk -DCONF_FILE:STRING=/home/laci/download/hello_world/prj.conf -S/home/laci/download/hello_world

As it turns out, the missing MK22FN512VLH12-pinctrl.h file is not part of the Zephyr repository, but it's part of the https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/hal_nxp Zephyr module.

Strangely, the https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/main/modules/hal_nxp Zephyr module is already part of the main Zephyr repo, but it's almost empty compared to the above module.

The above makes me quite confused, and I need some help making Zephyr build on the MK22FN512VLH12.

I should also mention that I use Zephyr provided by the nRF Connect SDK and the nRF Connect for VS Code extension pack because we're also using nRF528* processors. I want to use the same environment to develop for both processors. According to my knowledge, this issue is not related to the Nordic tools.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @laszlomonda,

For questions related to Zephyr we have a specific forum, where experts on the subject could help you. Could you please direct the related questions in the following communities?

Kind regards, Raul.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @laszlomonda,

For questions related to Zephyr we have a specific forum, where experts on the subject could help you. Could you please direct the related questions in the following communities?

Kind regards, Raul.

0 Kudos
laszlomonda
Contributor V

Thanks for the idea! Just opened the https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/discussions/63716 discussion on GitHub.

0 Kudos