Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis MCU I2C questions

Jump to solution
lucas_zhou
Contributor I

Hi all,

I have a question.

In the Reference manual IIC chapter : The interface is designed to operate up to 100 kbit/s with maximum bus loading and timing.

Does the Kinetis MCU support IIC in the fast mode ?

Thanks!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
carlos_neri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Jim commented, 100Kbps is the maximum data rate when the bus is at its maximum capacitance load (400pF). If you do not have that amount of capacitance load, the I2C can achieve fast mode (400kbps).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
carlos_neri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Jim commented, 100Kbps is the maximum data rate when the bus is at its maximum capacitance load (400pF). If you do not have that amount of capacitance load, the I2C can achieve fast mode (400kbps).

0 Kudos
lucas_zhou
Contributor I

Thank you !!

I get it. I will try it on my board.

0 Kudos
Sirius
Contributor I

Have a look at the I²C specification and manual of NXP:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/UM10204.pdf

On page 55 there are easy formulas & charts to determine pull-up values to meet the rise time requirements. Alternatively, take a look at the timing specs themselves in chapter 6.

0 Kudos
lucas_zhou
Contributor I

Thank you !

It's very useful for me .

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

On other Freescale chips, under ideal conditions I have run I2C at 1.2Mhz just as a test (I have not had a chance to test this one yet).

Note that this is really an overall specification of the I2C bus, not so much the part itself. Also a lower pull up helps for faster speeds.

0 Kudos
lucas_zhou
Contributor I

Thanks for your help.

I think I get it!!

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

This does not mean

that 100 k is then maximum clock rate. It means that at maximum loading, the clock and data signals will not be usable due to capacitance Loading.

0 Kudos