cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KE04 / MCU-Link Target issue

Jump to solution
chicagomike
Contributor III

This is a continuation of sorts from the thread "FRDM-KE04Z Quick Start problem". After receiving help from Robin, I brought up a simple test application on my KE04 Freedom board. My plan was to then migrate to our actual target hardware, which uses an MKE04Z8VFK4 processor.

I'm developing on a Windows 10 platform with MCUXpresso v11.6.1 and an MCU-Link debug probe running CMSIS-DAP V2.263 firmware. The debug probe has jumper J4 installed, J2 and J3 not installed.

My test application is just a simple main loop that toggles a GPIO pin, and it builds with no errors or warnings.

The problem is that I am unable to start a debug session, and I'm not sure how to address the problem. It seems that the SWD interface is talking, but something goes wrong with chip initialization. I also tried doing a simple blank-check using the GUI Flash Tool and had similar results.

I'm attaching a text file containing the MCUX console output.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

Sorry for my delay! I'm training these days so I can't get back to you sooner.
I just update the firmware of MCU-Link by refer: Getting Started with the MCU-Link
There is no J2 on MCU-Link, would you please check again?  (I did not connect J3\4\5)

MCULINKINSERT.png

After connect the J6 of MCU-Link to J7 of FRDM-KE04Z, I am able to debug the PKE04Z8VFK4 on FRDM-KE04Z.
The following is a comparison of console output. It is not clear why Probe Firmware: MCU-LINK (r0BF) (r0FF) is slightly different.

MCU-LINK compare.png
Are you debug custom board or FRDM-KE04Z? If custom board, please check the hardware of KE04:
PTA0 SWD_CLK  external pullup resistor
PTA4 SWD_DIO  external pulldown resistor
PTA5 RESET_b   external pullup resistor
PTB4 NMI_b external pullup resistor

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

Sorry for my delay! I'm training these days so I can't get back to you sooner.
I just update the firmware of MCU-Link by refer: Getting Started with the MCU-Link
There is no J2 on MCU-Link, would you please check again?  (I did not connect J3\4\5)

MCULINKINSERT.png

After connect the J6 of MCU-Link to J7 of FRDM-KE04Z, I am able to debug the PKE04Z8VFK4 on FRDM-KE04Z.
The following is a comparison of console output. It is not clear why Probe Firmware: MCU-LINK (r0BF) (r0FF) is slightly different.

MCU-LINK compare.png
Are you debug custom board or FRDM-KE04Z? If custom board, please check the hardware of KE04:
PTA0 SWD_CLK  external pullup resistor
PTA4 SWD_DIO  external pulldown resistor
PTA5 RESET_b   external pullup resistor
PTB4 NMI_b external pullup resistor

Best Regards,
Robin
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
chicagomike
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Turns out our problem was that we did not have a pullup resistor on NMI.

We are now successfully debugging and programming our target board.

THANK YOU so much for all of your help!!!

Mike

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome!
Thanks for sharing the cause of the problem.
I am glad to hear that it works now.

0 Kudos