K70 LCDC maximum display rate/frames per second (fps)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K70 LCDC maximum display rate/frames per second (fps)

lfcostello14
Contributor I

Hello all,

What is the maximum frame rate (frames per second) that a K70 running at 120 MHz can achieve? Our display resolution is 800x480 with a color depth of 24 bpp, for a total of 1,152,138 bytes per frame (~1 MB). I'm assuming multiple frame buffers can be used, and that the pointer to the active buffer can be changed at the end of each display refresh cycle. If two frame buffers are used, the inactive frame can be written during the screen refresh time. So does that mean that the maximum display rate is determined by the speed of a 1 MB DMA write to the inactive buffer?  If the DMA clock is 30 MHz (120/4 MHz) and 4 bytes are written each clock cycle, 1 MB would be written in 8.3 msec. So a new frame would be available every 8.3 msec, which is a rate of 120 fps. For our display the maximum refresh rate (determined by the display's maximum pixel clock) is 65 Hz, which would therefore be the limiting factor (65 fps is less than 120 fps). And the effective "optical" video rate would be determined by the response time of the pixels, which with our display is at most 35 ms. This would further limit the possible video rate to about 28 fps (1/35 ms).

Does the above make sense?

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Leo Costello,

I apologize for the delay,  please check this application note, in the section 2 LCD System Bus Bandwidth Requirements 

you can  see a table that explain for a 26.66 MHz  how to avoid the flicker but there is a  equation you can use to replicate this table depending on the LCD you are using.

Understanding LCD Memory and Bus Bandwidth Requirements

Hope this works, please let me know if this information solved your question.

have a great day !

Best regards.

Jonathan

0 Kudos