cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K60 Debugging Problem with new parts

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day All,

Just a heads up to those that are just starting to use/debug a K60 design... hopefully this info will save you a number of hours of head scratching...

It appears that the K60 needs to be initially erased and programmed before in circuit firmware debugging will work. I spent a number of hours trying to figure out what was happening with my custom K60 design and went so far as to remove the chip and install another one and found that the problem remained.  It was by chance that I tried attempted to erase the chip and discovered that this function would work... I then tried to debug, but it was a still a no go.  I then erased and programmed the chip and when I did this I was able to debug every time afterwards.  I submitted a support ticket to Freescale and they thought it was a Codewarrior issue.  I was pretty sure it wasn't, as the problem was completely replicable on new parts only... As it turns out I was speaking to a colleague today, who works for a large US firm, and he said that they had exactly the same problem... and their firmware group uses IAR for their toolset so CW is not the problem. My guess is that there is some existing factory test code is present within the K60 and this code was not erased before going into general distribution.

Anyway, if you are unable to debug your new K60 try to erase/reprogram the device, as this may get you going and save you a bunch of wasted debug time...

Cheers,

Sam

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

zhaohuiliu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sam,

Your issue of debugging new parts may be caused by the secured samples. New samples may be delivered in secure mode , no debug can be executed. When using IAR for the secured samples, it always says secure sample found, need to erase to unsecure. Your erasing/programming action can unsecure the sample, then debug works. I don't know if this is the root cause for your issue, but hope it's helpful.

Regars,

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good Day zhaohuiliu,

Thanks for the additional info.  In my case I had parts from three sources... one was a sample, another was a few parts from DigiKey, and the remaining were production parts purchased from my Freescale distributor.  In all cases I had to do the erase/program step before I could debug.  As for the IAR message... I do not know what was seen, as the IAR tools were used by my buddy's firm and he did not say if a particular message came up.  What I can sat is that CW 10.2 did come up with an error, but it was not obvious as to why the error presented.  In fact I sent the CW error to Freescale Support and they originally responded that the problem was with the chip (i.e. defective K60 and/or imporoper mounting). 

Anyway, from your description it does look like that this was the problem... and that the parts went into general distribution with this condition.  Quite honestly it is not that big of a deal, as the parts are recoverable... but it would have been nice to have some of this info posted so as to save me a whole lot of time on this (maybe there is but I, Tech Support, and a number of FAEs did not)... and having to rework my initial protos (replacing the K60) for no reason.

Thanks again for providing a possible explanation on this issue!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos