Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MQX RTOS is free?

Jump to solution
omkardixit
Contributor III

Hi

I was trying to download MQX RTOS but there are only two options one is user guide and the other one is buy. So is it free??

Regards

Omkar dixit

0 Kudos
1 Solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi @omkardixit 

Short answer is no, it's not free - you can fee information here: MQX-V5: Buy 

I've worked with it quite a bit and don't see the advantage of MQX over FreeRTOS, unless you don't have in house software skills and are going to pay a consultant to create your application for you.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi @omkardixit 

Short answer is no, it's not free - you can fee information here: MQX-V5: Buy 

I've worked with it quite a bit and don't see the advantage of MQX over FreeRTOS, unless you don't have in house software skills and are going to pay a consultant to create your application for you.  

0 Kudos
omkardixit
Contributor III

Hi

First I was trying using FreeRTOS but I was struggling to do so. Do you have any example codes available for the same?

Regards,

Omkar

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi @omkardixit ,

What is your level of understanding Reat Time Operating Systems?  If you have a good understanding of them, FreeRTOS (or MQX or whatever) shouldn't be too difficult to pick up.  

If you are a beginner to MCU RTOS's, might I suggest this presentation: Everything You Need to Know about RTOSs in 30 Minutes followed by this book: A practical introduction to real-time systems for undergraduate engineering The book is quite long but very complete.  

If you are familiar with MCU RTOS's and are looking for FreeRTOS examples, I would suggest:

Let me know if this is helpful. 

I've shared my generic Kinetis FreeRTOS LED_task code in this post - a three byte string is sent to set a specific LED to a specific state (on, off or flash) and it can be read back.  It gets a bit complex to understand as if I am sending a message from a task, I reply but if the message comes from an ISR, I don't reply (I don't want an ISR waiting around for the RTOS ).  Let me know if that makes sense to you.