Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing K53 and TWR-LCD-RGB

Jump to solution
elisamejia
Contributor III

Hello,

I'm working on an application using the TWR-K53N512 system, but I need to show some signals and graphs in an LCD. I was thinking about using the TWR-LCD-RGB but just found out that it doesn't have any native interface with this kind of LCDs. So, I have three options:

1. Use the TWR-LCD with the K53.

2. Use another knietis microcontroller, as the K40 or K70, which supports the TWR-LCD-RGB.

3. Develop my own interface.

I have no experience using Freescale systems, so I'm not sure which of these options is better.

Could anyone help me with some guidelines so I can decide what to do?

Best regards,

Elisa

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Elisa,

I recommend to take a decision based on the necessities of your project.

Please refer to the following information:

1. The MK53DN512CMD10 device, contained on the TWR-K53N512, counts with LCD Controller (SLCD).

SLCD is designed to generate the appropriate waveforms to drive multiplexed numeric, alphanumeric, or custom segment LCD panels.

In this case, the TWR-K53N512 works perfectly with the TWR-LCD.

Please note that it does not support graphic LCD controller as K70 does.

2. In case of the K70 series, it counts with the Liquid Crystal Display Controller Module (LCDC) and interface it with a graphical display, TWR-LCD-RGB.

LCDC provides display data for external gray-scale or color LCD panels. LCDC is capable of supporting black-and-white, gray-scale, passive-matrix color (passive color or CSTN), and active-matrix color (active color or TFT) LCD panels.

In this case I recommend the Application Note AN4588.

Both are excellent options. As I mentioned before, I recommend to take a decision based on the necessities of your project.

Hope this information will be useful for you.

Have a great day.

Best Regards, :smileyhappy:

David Diaz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
elisamejia
Contributor III

Thank you very much, David.

I'll take a decision based on your advices.

0 Kudos
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Elisa,

I recommend to take a decision based on the necessities of your project.

Please refer to the following information:

1. The MK53DN512CMD10 device, contained on the TWR-K53N512, counts with LCD Controller (SLCD).

SLCD is designed to generate the appropriate waveforms to drive multiplexed numeric, alphanumeric, or custom segment LCD panels.

In this case, the TWR-K53N512 works perfectly with the TWR-LCD.

Please note that it does not support graphic LCD controller as K70 does.

2. In case of the K70 series, it counts with the Liquid Crystal Display Controller Module (LCDC) and interface it with a graphical display, TWR-LCD-RGB.

LCDC provides display data for external gray-scale or color LCD panels. LCDC is capable of supporting black-and-white, gray-scale, passive-matrix color (passive color or CSTN), and active-matrix color (active color or TFT) LCD panels.

In this case I recommend the Application Note AN4588.

Both are excellent options. As I mentioned before, I recommend to take a decision based on the necessities of your project.

Hope this information will be useful for you.

Have a great day.

Best Regards, :smileyhappy:

David Diaz.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos