cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale NXP merger statement

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

Hello All,

I got an email from Freescale, explaining the merger with NXP. They mention that the only overlapping technology areas are Power RF components. But the MCU line is also overlapping isn't it? In fact I think Freescale and NXP are the only two companies giving 5V tolerant ARM cortex chips. Sow will the Kinetis line be axed in favour of LPC? In my opinion KDS with Processor Expert is much easier to use than LPCXpresso. Your views??

0 Kudos
9 Replies

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

danquist​ and VictorLorenzo​ totally agree with you. :smileywink:

0 Kudos

danquist
Contributor I

Would be a huge shame to see Kinetis cut.

0 Kudos

VictorLorenzo
Contributor IV

IMHO, it would be an inmense mistake too.

0 Kudos

Luis_Garabo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Pratiek,

Thank you very much for your question. Please let me answer to your doubts. There is very little overlap between the two companies other than RF Power, which NXP plans to sell. Until the closing, we will continue to work on our own projects, products and critical priorities. Once the close is completed, Freescale and NXP will then begin to engage regarding our product roadmaps, strategies and projects in support of our customers. The other product families are expected to complement each other.

In addition to this, NXP has a strong focus on customers and after closing NXP has announced that it will work to propagate best practices from Freescale and NXP in an effort to continually improve our business.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Garabo

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Grabo

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding to "In addition to this, NXP has a strong focus on customers and after

closing NXP has announced that it will work to propagate best practices from

Freescale and NXP in an effort to continually improve our business.":

Would you be able to refer to any concrete example for this sentence

at this point ?

Best regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

Hi Sinan,

Well basically according to Freescale reps, they cannot comment until the merger is done. I've tried contacting them many times, but the answer is always the same-no overlapping product lines, etc, etc. I suppose we'll just have to wait and watch. Clearly Freescale's Kinetis and NXP's LPC series of MCUs are competitors. We have to see which line gets the axe.

I feel Kinetis is a little more user friendly than the LPC (But I confess that I haven't used LPC since 2012-they might have added some features). In all probability we might see LPC chips with Kinetis features and a new IDE along the lines of KDS for the same.

Or they might go the Volkswagen way with similar products but different brands under the same parent company.

0 Kudos

Luis_Garabo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sinan,

Thanks for your reply. Until the merger is closed, Freescale and NXP will operate as separate companies. It is therefor not possible to give more concrete examples until then.

Have a great weekend!

Garabo

0 Kudos

juanm
Contributor III

And what would happen to the S08 (competing with the 8051 from NXP?) and Coldfire?

0 Kudos

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

Exactly my doubts.....but Freescale isn't commenting on this right now.

0 Kudos