Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale Freedom Development Libraries

Jump to solution
anstcran
Contributor I

Hi,

The Kinetis devices were mentioned to me by a teacher as the course I am currently undertaking, is thinking of switching over to these in the future.  We currently use TI's MSP430 and Stellaris MCU's, but the Stellaris has been phased out and the new Tiva series does not incorporate ethernet.

I have a few questions regarding the Kinetis development boards, so thought I would ask them here:

1) Do the Kinetis devices come with a set of libraries enabling I2C, SPI functionality out of the box?

2) Is there a development board that incorporates an onboard LCD?

3) Are there any plans to supply Ethernet libraries and development board with ethernet capability?

I am just enquiring at the moment and will probably buy a Freescale device in the near future, as always good to see how different device manufactures do things.

Best regards,

Ant

0 Kudos
1 Solution
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Hi Anthony

Do the Kinetis devices come with a set of libraries enabling I2C, SPI functionality out of the box?

There are examples on the DVD (Included in the package when you buy a board) and the Freescale Official Page on how to use those protocols.

Is there a development board that incorporates an on-board LCD?

I'll attach a PDF showing our products.

You can also buy a TWR where you can get a TWR-LCD and just attach it to the tower.

Are there any plans to supply Ethernet libraries and development board with Ethernet capability?

TWR boards have an TWR-SER to implement Ethernet.

I recommend you getting a TWR-K60N512, it's very flexible and it comes with a modular Tower System development platform. where you can adapt Ethernet, Serial and USB with the included TWR-SER.

I'll leave you the link: TWR-K60N512 Product Summary Page

If you have more questions I'll be glad to answer.

Hector Sanchez

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Hi Anthony

Do the Kinetis devices come with a set of libraries enabling I2C, SPI functionality out of the box?

There are examples on the DVD (Included in the package when you buy a board) and the Freescale Official Page on how to use those protocols.

Is there a development board that incorporates an on-board LCD?

I'll attach a PDF showing our products.

You can also buy a TWR where you can get a TWR-LCD and just attach it to the tower.

Are there any plans to supply Ethernet libraries and development board with Ethernet capability?

TWR boards have an TWR-SER to implement Ethernet.

I recommend you getting a TWR-K60N512, it's very flexible and it comes with a modular Tower System development platform. where you can adapt Ethernet, Serial and USB with the included TWR-SER.

I'll leave you the link: TWR-K60N512 Product Summary Page

If you have more questions I'll be glad to answer.

Hector Sanchez

0 Kudos
anstcran
Contributor I

Hi Hector,

Thanks for the answer, I didn't actually think about the tower system but it does look very flexible and not as expensive as I thought, although the price is a little more than I wanted to pay at this time.  All the links were very informative and thank you for the product brochure.

If I brought one of the smaller development boards based on the M0 devices, are the libraries used similar to those on the Tower systems?  (This would enable me to get a feel for the freescales devices on a budget and can play around with I2C etc for now, then move up to the M4 tower devices taking some of that knowledge with me)

Best regards,

Ant

0 Kudos
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Hi Anthony,

The libraries are different but there is no problem migrating from one device to another, you just need to make sure the TWR systems have the capabilities of the M0 devices. The libraries from both devices have examples in the CW Development Studio.

0 Kudos