cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL82Z - Power Manager Demo

rtoma
Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my head around the power modes of the Kinetis KL82Z microcontroller. At the moment I have a KL82Z Freedom board running the Power Manager Demo application from SDK2.2. I am not using the debug probe to run it. I am able to change the different power modes. The power modes I am most interested are VLPR and VLPS.

However, when switching from RUN to VLPR and afterwards to VLPS the values I am measuring are above the ones stated in the datasheet. I am placing the current meter in jumper J15. 

Current Draw (mA)
 MinMax
RUN10.110.14
WAIT10.0510.11
STOP8.18.12
VLPR1.4811.602
VLPW1.4741.604
VLPS1.4021.523
LLS/LLS30.3970.423
VLLS0  
VLLS1  
VLLS2  
VLLS3  
HSRUN10.8210.94

Is there something I am missing or doing incorrectly? 

Is there some relevant material that one can read more? Relevant to the Kinetis L family microcontrollers? 

If someone had a previous issue on a different Kinetis board, which is similar to mine, I would like to hear how they solved it.

Many thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Radu,

From hardware perspective, it is okay to connect a current meter to the J15 to measure the current of VDD pins. But from our experience, pls try to remove the KDS or the other tools to test the current, because the debug tools always wake up the processor. Pls have a try.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

rtoma
Contributor III

Hello XiangJun,

Thanks for the reply. I am using the FRDM-KL82Z dev board. I will try and isolate the KL82 as much as possible.

I was hoping that NXP would make it easier measuring the low power current. I am investigating the dev board schematic in order to figure out how this could be done. 

0 Kudos

rtoma
Contributor III

Thank you XiangJun! Powering the dev board via J11 solved the issue. I found this table in the FRDM-KL82Z User Guide. 

pastedImage_1.png

The current measurements are starting to look more closer to the datasheet now. 

0 Kudos