FRDM-KE02Z with an external SWD programmer/debugger

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KE02Z with an external SWD programmer/debugger

fdarling
Contributor I

I have a Kinetis E series evaluation board, the FRDM-KE02Z, and also have a USBDM that supports programming the MKE02Z64 (MKE02Z64VQH2) chip present on this board. I am interested in using this external programmer instead of the onboard OpenSDA programmer.

I removed the 0 ohm resistor R35 and populated J5 with a header so I can put a jumper block on it. When the jumper is not present, the target chip's reset line is isolated from OpenSDA output for it. The other clock and data lines involved with SWD aren't isolated technically, but there are tri-state buffers that the OpenSDA chip usually leaves disconnected unless it's trying to program the target (I assume.)

However, when I try flashing an empty barebones project in CodeWarrior using the USBDM I get an error:

Error launching testprj_FLASH_USBDM

ARM GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. BDM has no connection to target

If I don't have the development board's mini-USB connector attached to my computer providing power to the board, I get this error message instead:

Error launching testprj_FLASH_USBDM

ARM GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. Target Vdd not present

This leads me to believe that the USBDM is working as far as it's ability to detect Vdd (aka Vcc), but can't actually communicate with the target chip.

Has anyone used an external programmer with the FRDM-KE02Z? If so, what's the trick to it? I'd especially like to know if anyone's done it with the USBDM.

1 Reply

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello:

Not sure if the USBDM requires the reset line, but I would keep J5 placed.

Also, I think there are different versions of USBDM hardware, some seem to use JTAG and some others SWD, and FRDM-KE02 requires SWD. Have you verified that your hardware can program through SWD?

Our colleague Erich Styger ran into a similar problem like yours and he tried some alternatives. Check the next thread:

USBDM 4.10.5 supports now MCU10.4 | MCU on Eclipse

User pgo is the developer of USBDM and he could provide a better insight in this. A problem with KE02 was reported already, maybe you can ask him in that thread:

it is failed to program application into MKE02Z64

I hope some of this helps!

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------