FRDM-K64F-AGM01 and PC cannot be connected.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-K64F-AGM01 and PC cannot be connected.

t-kira
Contributor III

This is my first time to email you.
I have encountered a problem while trying to perform an evaluation test on the product below.

Product model: FRDM-K64F-AGM01
Problem: The dedicated installer (The Freedom Sensor Toolbox-Community Edition (STB-CE)) does not recognize the product even if the FRDM-K64F-AGM01 and the computer are connected via USB.

Currently, we have downloaded what is required to install STB-CE.

(Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 ,Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 ,VISA Runtime Engine 17(124MB), LabVIEW 2017 32-bit Runtime Engine(366MB) ,Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0)

First, start the installer (Freedom Sensor Toolbox-Community Edition (STB-CE)). Then click "Box Sensor Demo" as shown in the figure and connect the PC and FRDM-K64F-AGM01 with a USB cable.

d.png

When FRDM-K64F-AGM01 is connected to a PC, it will not be recognized as a port by the PC's device manager as shown below.

b.png

At this time, there is no change in the appearance of FRDM0K64F-AGM01.
Furthermore, even if you press the RESET button of FRDM0K64F-AGM01, it is not recognized as a port in Device Manager, and there is no change in The Freedom Sensor Toolbox-Community Edition (STB-CE).

Furthermore, even if you change the PC (Windows7, Windows10) and install and connect The Freedom Sensor Toolbox-Community Edition (STB-CE) again, the same phenomenon occurs even if you change the USB cable.

What is the cause of this phenomenon?
How should I connect the product to my computer?

We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you.

0 Kudos
34 Replies

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

At last, you always have to learn this useful skill.

Have a great day,

TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 days after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

t-kira
Contributor III

It's been a long time.

I bought a debugger the other day.
As you said, if you connect the debugger to your PC and click JLink.exe with the debugger connected to pin J10 on the board, the same phenomenon as last time will occur and the following screen will be displayed.

a.PNG

Is there a solution? Also, what kind of jumper settings are appropriate for the debugger and FRDM-K64F-AGM01 board?

We apologize for the inconvenience, but please reply.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Show me your debugger. 

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 days after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

t-kira
Contributor III

Thank you for your reply.

The debugger I purchased this time is the one shown in the figure below.

a.jpg

I bought this debugger from the link provided.
The figure below shows the connection between the PC, debugger, and board.

The board connection is J10 pin.

b.jpg

We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

When you connect the debugger to PC, this led should light. I made a red circle. Please check.

a.jpg

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

t-kira
Contributor III

As you can see in the photo above, when you connect it to a PC, the LED lights up as shown in the figure below.
However, the same screen as last time is displayed.

c.jpg

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Use a jumper to connect R46, I made a big red circle. 

a.jpg

Jumper is this.

2.jpg

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

t-kira
Contributor III

I used a jumper to connect the R46 on the board to the debugger, but the same screen as last time is displayed on the PC, and the problem has not been solved.

The figure below shows the jumper settings used for this connection.

a.jpgb.jpg

Is this jumper setting correct?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, I am not familiar with the lpc product. You can create a new ticket about this lpc product. Our lpc engineer will answer your question. 

t-kira
Contributor III

Thank you for answering many questions.
I will try to find the cause so that the problem can be solved.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

t-kira
Contributor III

Thank you for responding to many questions.

I will continue to study such techniques in more detail.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The debugger mcu on k64 is k20. K20 has two program in the flash. Bootloader(use for update application ) and application(use for debugging).

When you press the reset, k20 will go to bootloader. And make itself like a disk using usb stack. It is why you can see the "bootloader". When you do not press reset, k20 will go to application directly. And show disk like "FRDM_K64" or something else. So if the usb connector is broken, Neither bootloadr nor application will show disk.

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

t-kira
Contributor III

Does that mean there is no other way to solve the problem than buy a debugger?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

When you press the reset button without realeasing, it shows "bootloader". So the usb connector is ok. 

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

t-kira
Contributor III

When connecting the PC and the board, the LED of FRDM-K64F-AGM01 does not light up.
 At that time, the PC does not recognize it as "bootloader".

When the reset button is pressed as it is, the LED of FRDM-K64F-AGM01 blinks for the first time, and "bootloader" is displayed on the PC.

It is such a phenomenon, but does it mean that there is no problem with the USB connector?

0 Kudos

t-kira
Contributor III

Then, assuming that there is a hardware problem, I think the failure of the USB connector itself of FRDM-K64F-AGM01 is also possible.

In fact, after connecting the PC to the board for the first time after purchasing and starting The Freedom Sensor Toolbox-Community Edition (STB-CE), it was certainly recognized as "COM8" and I was able to proceed to the screen below.

a.PNG

but,The error message of the next screen was displayed no matter what operation was performed from this screen.

b.PNG

So, I thought that there was a problem with the USB connector, and while checking the USB connection and disconnection, I started STB-CE and even COM8 no longer recognized.

Since that time, the phenomenon of what I asked has continued.

In this case, is there a great possibility that there is a "hardware problem"?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Except the hardware problem, this is the most possible reason for PC can't recognize the MCU. 

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The board has debugger mcu for you to download the program and debug. But if the debugger mcu firmware is not the latest version, it won't work on some PC. So you have to use the external debugger to update the debugger mcu firmware. 

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

t-kira
Contributor III

So what's the cause except if the debugger's mcu firmware is not the latest version?

I think "the debugger's mcu firmware is not the latest version" is one of the reasons why the PC and board cannot connect.
If there are other factors, what could be the cause?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

When you have the debugger, follow the document. Do not miss any steps and mistake the order.

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

0 Kudos