cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating over UART5 to Desktop

Jump to solution
ERussell
Contributor IV

I am using CW10.2 to develop a K60 application on a target board without an RTOS. I want to be able to use printf statements for debugging. Currently the printf statements output to the CW console view. However the output is very slow. I would like to try using the K60's onboard UART5 as the output to a terminal program running on the desktop. I have my own version of the printf function which uses UART5 and I know this is working to the extent that I see signal output on an oscilloscope. I have removed the jumpers from J7 on a freestanding TWR-SER2 board and connected the UART5's RX and TX signals to the J7 pins which feed into U500 on the serial board. I have applied power to the board and connected it to the desktop via USB. The board shows up in the Device Manager as a COM port with the Freescale CDC driver. However no terminal program I have tried sees the COM port. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ERussell
Contributor IV

It's been a while but I believe the issue was the driver. I installed Freescale CDC Device driver version 5.1 (9/11/2010). I was then able to communicate somewhat using the TWR-SER2 board as the USB to serial bridge and the program HyperSerialPort - but not reliably enough for debugging. I purchased the Freescale EVBUSB2SER Board and connected Uart 5s TX, RX, and GND to the header available on the board. Using HyperSerialPort I am able to reliably get printf statements to output. It is not a completely satisfactory solution because it uses a program outside CW and has to be reset more often than I would like. I am using my own printf library which Is fine but I would prefer to use what is already in the CW libraries. I wasn't able to figure out how to do this.

I hope this helps!

Elizabeth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ERussell
Contributor IV

Got it!

0 Kudos
squadmcu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Elizabeth! Could you please let us know what did you found?

0 Kudos
ERussell
Contributor IV

It's been a while but I believe the issue was the driver. I installed Freescale CDC Device driver version 5.1 (9/11/2010). I was then able to communicate somewhat using the TWR-SER2 board as the USB to serial bridge and the program HyperSerialPort - but not reliably enough for debugging. I purchased the Freescale EVBUSB2SER Board and connected Uart 5s TX, RX, and GND to the header available on the board. Using HyperSerialPort I am able to reliably get printf statements to output. It is not a completely satisfactory solution because it uses a program outside CW and has to be reset more often than I would like. I am using my own printf library which Is fine but I would prefer to use what is already in the CW libraries. I wasn't able to figure out how to do this.

I hope this helps!

Elizabeth

0 Kudos
squadmcu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks for the info! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos