Can two FRDM-K64F boards be connected back-to-back using CAN?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

germanrivera
Contributor III

If so, what kind of wires do I need to plug to the FRDM board headers?

Do I need to have CAN transceivers on each board? If so, is there any CAN transceiver shiled/add-on board

that I can use for the FRDM boards?

Thanks,

German

0 Kudos
3 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi German,

No, you can't connect two FRDM-K64F CAN pin together directly, you must need to add the external CAN transceivers.

The FRDM-K64 board didn't add the external CAN transceivers.

But don't worry, you use these board's CAN transceivers.

1.TRK-KEA series.

Take an example, the TRK-KEA128

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/schematics/TRK-KEA128_SCH.pdf 

pastedImage_2.png

2. FRDM-KE06

FRDM-KE06Z|Freedom Development Platform|Kinetis MCU|NXP 

pastedImage_4.png

3. TWR-SER

Serial (USB, Ethernet, CAN, RS232/485) Tower System Module|NXP 

pastedImage_6.png

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

germanrivera
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your answer. If I understand you correctly, I could use the FRDM-KE06 board as an add-on/shield board for the FRDM-K64F. Is that right? If so, I could plug the two boards together using their arduino headers?

If this works, the arrangement I'm thinking is to have two FRDM64F boards, each one with a FRDM-KE06 as a shield. Now the question is how do I connect the two CAN nodes (that is, what kind of cable do I need to use to connect the 

two FRDM-KE06 boards back to back?)

Thanks again,

German

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi German,

If you don't have other independent CAN transceivers,and you also have two FRDM-KE06, of course you can use it.

Each FRDM-K64 need to connect one CAN transceivers.

About the connections, you can check the FRDM-KE06 board schematic.

pastedImage_2.png

You can remove R72, R74,then use the wire solder in R72 CAN_TX side, and another wire solder in CAN_RX R74 side.

Connect it to your FRDM-K64 CAN TX and RX pin, then connect two FRDM-KE06 board's CAN_H and CAN_L together.

pastedImage_3.png

Please note, you need to power on the FRDM-KE06 board, because CAN transceivers need the power.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos