Bricked boards Second phase

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bricked boards Second phase

chop
Contributor I

After having problems with my first two FRDM boards I sent Freescale a fault report and they very kindly sent two replacements , these arrived this afternoon , keen to check them out I connected them to the USB lead on my main computer , running XP, both boards came up as "FRDM-KL25Z." as per the Quick Start Guide , all well and good , and the demo program showed that the accelerometers were functioning as expected , put them away and had dinner, I decided to try loading one of the precompiled srec  examples  , That's when the problems started , on plugging the USB lead ( without attempting to go into bootloader) After a short delay  I was presented  with the error message  " Delayed write failed " after which the board came up as "Invalid" rather than "FRDM-KL24Z"  or "Bootloader"   Disconnecting and reconnecting it enumerated as "Bootloader" with no sign of the demo program and the green bootloader light flashing as per the original two that failed   

As a check I did a "LSUSB" on one of my Linux boxes and note that the still working FRDM ID enumerates as "1357:0707 P&E Microcomputer systems" , the dead ones show as "2504:0200" , So it appears that something is wiping out the original  OpenSDA programming ?

This is starting to really bug me , it appears that something in my main computer XP system is killing FRDM boards ( 3 of 4 so far , and the fourth I'm very reticent to plug in to my main computer again, though it seems to behave on my XP laptop) ,  I have several Micro programming systems installed in the main computer  ( Arduino, Energia, Coocox,Espruino, Code composer etc ,)  but none of these are running while I'm playing with the Freedom boards 

Anyone have any brilliant ideas before I tear what little remaining hair I have out ?

Art

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

kevin1
Contributor I

Art,

We have had a report that extensions to the Windows Explorer file manager can cause problems when trying to load images to the Freedom board. This could be possible since with a FAT file system, the PC could write the file in many different ways and it would valid for a real mass storage device but mis-understood by the Freedom board (for instance writing a file backwards or in random order). We are currently looking into this, and it may be what is affecting you.

The good news is that the Bootloader is in protected memory, so you should be able to recover any of the boards. You have to put the Freedom board into Bootloader mode and then copy the appropriate MSD (mass storage application) to your Freedom board. The important part is, for now, not to use Windows Explorer to do this. Either use a different PC, or open a Command Prompt and use the "copy" command to copy the application to the board. All of the applications can be downloaded from http://www.pemicro.com/opensda.

I will ask you off-line to send me the example project you tried programming into the unit so we can test that as well.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos

Tommy44
Contributor III

I had a board I thought was "bricked", plugging it in showed me the FRDM-KL25Z drive, but copying any application to it did nothing,  looking at laststat showed "programming" forever.  Then I found this:

Pemicro_OpenSDA_Debug_MSD_Update_Apps_2013_01_07 which contained a bootloader update and instructions.

Problem solved, board works fine again.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Could you please share where you found it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

mnorman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

carlosmendoza
Contributor III

This solution also works for the FRDM-KL46Z board. I just tried it myself. Thanks for replying to the OP with the solution!

Carlos

0 Kudos

Tommy44
Contributor III

Hi Jim

http://www.pemicro.com/support/downloads_find.cfm then look in the left

hand column for Open SDA firmware applications" Download it, unzip it

and read the bootloader update instructions. I hope it works for you.

Tom

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm aware that some shell extensions (File Commander, etc) might cause issues. But to my knowledge the programming of the board failed, and should not brick the board. Not sure if you are using such an utility. Using the DOS shell/cmd 'copy' command to copy the file was working in these cases. Can you confirm that you did use 'copy' and not some kind of utility?

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos

adriansc
Contributor IV

Hi,

Probably as you said something is going wrong with your XP computer. I think you need to try with a different computer because it is not a normal behavior for more than 2 or 3 FRDM boards.

Regards.

0 Kudos