Bootloader update in deployed device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader update in deployed device

vlorz
Contributor I

I'm using the Kinetis Bootloader, version 2.0.0, quiet old now, in some products that are already installed and now I need to update the bootloader.

Cause is the original bootloader never jumps to the application when it detects activity in the serial port before the timeout expires, even it not being valid packets, and this is incompatible with current use cases for some clients.

I've added the new functionality I need but now I need to update the bootloader to a number of devices without using any hardware debugger, or sort of.

The current bootloader doesn't support updating itself. One option I'm evaluating is to create a temporary application that could be uploaded and run so it would update the bootloader, then invalidate itself and reboot so next step would be uploading the user application again.

Is there any other option available? Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @vlorz.

Given the circumstances, I can’t think of a better alternative to what you are proposing. But even that could prove to be a troublesome solution. I would have to ask: What devices are you using? ROM bootloaders are protected to prevent accidental changes from software. However, if you are using a device that operates with a flash bootloader, perhaps it could work.

Best regards,

Edwin.

0 Kudos

vlorz
Contributor I

Hi @EdwinHz,

Thanks for the time you took to look at my question.

I'm using the Kinetis MK22FN512VLH12. The bootloader is placed in flash.

Best regards, Victor

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Considering the constraints, I think your proposition is probably the only reasonable option. Give it a try and remember to contact us if you require further assistance.

0 Kudos