cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner's question on K52 / K53

NArn
Contributor II

Hello,

I am considering using K52 or K53 in my next design, which would be the first time I use the ARM microcontrollers that are now sold by NXP. This means that there are lots of things I need to learn. This posting is my first step on that journey.

Has NXP unified the tools for the MCUs from Freescale with the ones from NXP?

If I understand correctly, NXP has a longevity program of 15 years for these MCUs that ends in 2026. Is there any official or unofficial statement or actual on-going sales volume that makes it reasonable to believe that these MCUs can still be bought 10 or 15 years from now? Or are they essentially NRND?

I will probably have more questions along the way.

Best regards

Niclas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

NArn
Contributor II

Thank you Bob,

I feel your pain regarding the delivery time, but that will pass. I'm more concerned that some MCU manufacturers are churning out so many models that they can't possibly all have a long commercial life. One of the challenges as a HW designer is to choose one that will not be discontinued too early due to too low market demand.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello NArn,

Concerns about stock availability are understandable given the overall industrial situation in regards as of supply of semiconductors, albeit it should improve in the future.

Your understanding is correct regarding the longevity program (link below for more details, although I supose you had already visited this page)

https://www.nxp.com/products/product-information/nxp-product-programs/product-longevity:PRDCT_LONGEV...

While the part numbers for K52 and K52 are not yet marked as Not Recommended for New Design, I would not recommend using them for a new design if you plan to have your design in production for 10 to 15 years from now.

Regards,
Gustavo

0 Kudos

NArn
Contributor II

Hello Gustavo,

Thank you for the honest reply. I noticed that there is another, recently released MCU that actually suits my needs better, so I just ordered a TWR-KM35Z75M and a few MKM35Z512VLQ7.

This model seems to be very new, with longevity program until 2035, which is perhaps why it's possible to buy it - it might not yet be in mass production at the customers.

I hope I won't be on the bleeding edge though. That's after all the reason why I'm looking for another brand of MCU. The other manufacturer put our current MCU on the market before its support tools were fit for commercial use...

BTW, which debugger / programming dongles are recommended for custom boards?

Best regards

Niclas

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

". The other manufacturer put our current MCU on the market before its support tools were fit for commercial use..."

Which one?

I too have lost far to much blood to the Bleeding Edge over the years.
Don't care to do it any more.

The Sagger J-Link and PE Micro's pods seem to be the most common debuggers for this line of parts.
Get one that is supported by the MCUXpresso IDE.

0 Kudos

NArn
Contributor II

Thanks,

I tried to send you a PM but apparently I am not (yet?) allowed to do that.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

This forum system has a lot of odd things about, in attempts at preventing spam.

As your number of posts increases it lets you do more things.

I don't know that there is anyone that truly knows how it works, that ever actually reads any of these messages to explain such things.

As a new user posting any URLs will send the message to moderation, we all did figure that out a while ago.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

"I am considering using K52 or K53 in my next design, "

Make sure you can actually get it, or any other part from any vendor you may be considering due to the world wide shortage of 'Chips', as the Popular Press likes to call them.

"Has NXP unified the tools for the MCUs from Freescale with the ones from NXP?"

MCUXpresso is the current iteration of the IDE tool set:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools-/mcuxpresso-i...

" NXP has a longevity program of 15 years "

Completely meaningless.
Can't get chips today, let alone 15 years from now.
Got a quote of April/27/2022 for one of the micros I use.

0 Kudos