Affordable Debugger for Kinetis microcontroller

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Debugger for Kinetis microcontroller

vipinkumar27
Contributor II

Hi,I am planning to use MKL16Z128VFM4 .There are many debuggers and in-flash programmer being shown in software and tools but I am not able choose among them .I want a cheap and affordable  debugger .which one is the best according my requirement?

4 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vipin Kumar,

If you don't want to buy the programmer, you can use the FRDM on board debugger which with opensda v2.

Do you have the Freescale's kinetis FRDM board with opensda v2?(eg. FRDM-K64)

If yes,  because the FRDM board with opensda V2 have the on board programmer, you can use the on board JLINK firmware, then to program your MKL16Z128VFM4.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

vipinkumar27
Contributor II

Hi Jingjing,

Sorry,my question was wrong .Yes,I am ordering FRDM board and I had to ask about the hardware debugger.The cheapest debugger for KL16x series that I could find is u multilink .If you are aware of any debugger cheaper than this that will support this KL16X series,do let me know.As I am a student,I am trying to find a debugger cheaper than this.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vipin Kumar,

If you don't want to buy the PE multilink universal and the Segger JLINK, you can refer to the link from Erich Styger.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To be clear: You can *not* use the J-Link firmware on the FRDM board to debug anything else than the device on the board. This is against the licensing agreement (you have to agree to before using it).

But you can do this with the CMSIS-DAP firmware:

Using the FRDM-KL25Z with CMSIS-DAP to program ARM Microcontrollers

Erich

0 Kudos