cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with FRDM-K22F on Windows 10

Jump to solution
davepfaltzgraff
Senior Contributor I

I am working with a FRDM-K22F board and trying to get it to run under a PC that was Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10. The board had been bricked, so I used the procedure at How to Recover the OpenSDA V2.x Bootloader | MCU on Eclipse to load the latest firmware (0244_k20dx_bl_0x8000,bin) to the debug port. It works to the extent that I do see the MAINTENANCE drive when I connect. However, the corresponding serial port does not show up. I believe this is why I don't see it when trying to debug in KDS 3.

I suspect that this may have to do with the drivers on my PC, but am unsure of how to make sure it's a clean install. I've run mbedWinSerial_16466.exe (both with and without admin rights) but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Of course there's the chance that I'm trying to row up the wrong stream. So, any pointers welcome... Please no comments about moving away from KDS. This is an old project that I'm trying to maintain, but haven't used the FRDM-K22F platform for a while.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

The 'Maintenance' mode means that either the K20 (OpenSDA) has only the bootloader on it (no debug app, so you need to load e.g. the J-Link or P&E firmware on it), or the K22 is constantly resetting. In this case you might need to use a SWD debug cable with the 10pin SWD port for the K22 to recover it.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

The 'Maintenance' mode means that either the K20 (OpenSDA) has only the bootloader on it (no debug app, so you need to load e.g. the J-Link or P&E firmware on it), or the K22 is constantly resetting. In this case you might need to use a SWD debug cable with the 10pin SWD port for the K22 to recover it.

I hope this helps,

Erich

davepfaltzgraff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

That was what I needed. I went back and found the Segger OpenSDA for the FRDM-K22F and was able to do the drag-n-drop and now the board is performing as expected. I'm back on track - I think!

Thanks, Dave

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Dave,

ok, so this was it, indeed. There are two things: the bootloader and the 'debug application' on top of it. Glad you have sorted it out!

Erich

0 Kudos
davepfaltzgraff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I am somewhat confused. I had followed the procedure you outlined in the link I provided and used the Segger J-Link Plus to program the part with the code version that I showed. At one time I thought that I hadn't done this correctly, but when I tried to reprogram the K20, the Segger program informed me that the unit was already programmed with that code. I'll try one more time and see if I can force a clearing of the memory first. (?)

Maybe I should ask, if as you suggest the K20 needs a debug app, where can I find that? And how is that loaded? Do I need the J-Link or is that one of the drag-n-drop programs?

I would appreciate some pointers how to go through this and know that I am doing it right. I realize that this requires some hand-holding, but I feel like I've hit a brick wall and am only getting frustrated.

Thanks for your patience. Dave

0 Kudos