Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS installation on Linux

Jump to solution
peterruesch
Contributor IV

Hi,

after downloading "Design Studio installer for Linux 64-bit RPM 3.0.0.rpm" I wanted to install it an on a CentOS Linux 7 machine, I'm facing the following problem:

[dev@localhost vm_share]$ sudo rpm -Uvh Kinetis\ Design\ Studio\ installer\ for\ Linux\ 64-bit\ RPM\ 3.0.0.rpm  Preparing...                          ################################# [100%] Updating / installing...    1:kinetis-design-studio-3.0.0-1    ################################# [100%] error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0/eclipse/features/com.somniumtech.jre.linux.gtk.x86_64_1.7.0.76/jre/lib/jfxrt.jar;55ed5cb9: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory error: kinetis-design-studio-3.0.0-1.x86_64: install failed

any hint ?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Lukas_Heczko
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Currently I have only CentOS 6.6 where I checked that the installation works well so until I'll get CentOS 7 installed:

• Could you please check md5 checksum of your download? It should be 1a7709693e49c16fa7a7cc6a4627ece8.
  • I noticed that you used rpm -Uvh (upgrade) command - does it mean that you already have some KDS installed?

Regards,

Lukas

View solution in original post

7 Replies
michaelball
Contributor III

The " cpio: read failed - No such file or directory"  is an indication that the download was not intact. I agree with Lucas.  Check the md5 checksum and re-download if incorrect.

Lukas_Heczko
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Currently I have only CentOS 6.6 where I checked that the installation works well so until I'll get CentOS 7 installed:

• Could you please check md5 checksum of your download? It should be 1a7709693e49c16fa7a7cc6a4627ece8.
  • I noticed that you used rpm -Uvh (upgrade) command - does it mean that you already have some KDS installed?

Regards,

Lukas

peterruesch
Contributor IV

I was inspired from this document:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KDSUG.pdf?fsrch=1 , page 6

To install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools on an Linux Standard Base (LSB)-compliant system, use the .rpm package file.

$ sudo rpm -Uvh kinetis-design-studio-3.0.0-1.x86_64.rpm

Preparing ... ########################################### [100%]

1: Kinetis Design Studio ########################################### [100%]

This will install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools to the default location (/opt/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0).

if this is wrong, you should probably update the guide....

I was in a hurry to get the linux environment up and running so ditched my CentOS 7 efforts in favour a Ubuntu 14.04.

regarding the rpm file: our firewall proxy decided to cancel the download at some point. your assumptions are correct: the rpm file was broken.

thanks for the attention!

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Peter,

What about the extension of the KDS file , please change the extension to .deb , then have a try .

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
peterruesch
Contributor IV

eerrmm....

mind you: CentOS is rpm based... why would I change the file extension to .deb ??

ok.. you could use the Alien package to convert a package form rpm to deb... Alien - Debian Wiki

but hey... WHY ?

0 Kudos
michaelball
Contributor III

No Peter, you are correct on this one.  the RPM package is the proper one for CentOS. 

If a fresh download did not work, then there is another problem.   Regarding Alien, it would make more sense if "plan-B" were to convert the prepackaged  .deb into an .rpm file to use.  I do not recommend this however.

sudo rpm -ivh Kinetis\ Design\ Studio\ installer\ for\ Linux\ 64-bit\ RPM\ 3.0.0.rpm

-i for install...

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Please, do you execute the installation with administrator rights (with sudo) ?

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos